Designing and manufacturing furniture requires both an appreciation of aesthetics and a knowledge of Ergonomics. This course introduces students to the design and development of furniture which meets both aspects. Also a historical study of great furniture designers will be conducted.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2017.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Studied the design concepts of a range of famous furniture designers;
2. Designed a piece of furniture to conform to the aesthetics principles of a defined theme;
3. Design a piece of furniture to conform to ergonomic principles;
4. Project planned the development of a piece of furniture;
5. Reflect on the process of design and development of their furniture project;
6. Document the development and production of the piece of furniture identifying conformity to the principles of ergonomics and providing rationale for critical decision making;
7. Develop working drawing which conform to appropriate standards.
The Course will cover the following topics:
- History of furniture design
- Ergonomic principles and Ergonomic issues associated with furniture design and production
- Furniture Design Principles
- Project planning and documentation
Basic Workshop practices and risk management.
Presentation: Proposal Presentation
Project: Production Drawings & Model
Project: Prototype & Prezi