Financial institutions and markets are the cornerstones of the modern financial system, and as such, knowledge of these organisations is important in any professional career in the business world.
This course provides students with an introduction to the Australian financial markets and an evaluation of the institutions, instruments and participants involved in the industry. The markets to be evaluated include the equity, bond, futures, and options markets. The course systematically reviews each of these financial markets and examines the various institutional participants and the different types of financial instruments offered. Information is vital to the today's financial professional. Accessing, processing, analysing and communicating information is an important attribute developed within the course.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2015.
1. Describe and communicate the components of the Australian financial system
2. Identify and explain the basic instruments of corporate funding
3. Comprehend and explain how securities are traded
4. Demonstrate how derivative instruments are valued
5. Apply basic financial mathematics to financial problem solving.
6. Analyse the operations of the equity, bond, futures and options markets
7. Access, manage and utilise sources of current information and media to further expand their financial knowledge
Lectures will include, but may not be restricted to, the following topics:
- An overview of the financial system
- The share market and corporations
- Corporations issuing equity in the share market
- Investors in the share market
- An examination of short-term debt
- An examination of long-term debt
- An introduction to interest rate determination
- Futures markets and forward-rate agreements
- Options markets
Quiz: Tutorial Quizzes
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Quiz: Mid Semester Quiz
Formal Examination: Final Exam
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term starting in week 1
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 11 Weeks starting in week 2