This course offers a foundation in material processes for students wishing to create spatial art works in three-dimensional form. A range of basic processes are introduced to support the development of skills with a range of materials and techniques. Students will experiment with modelling and finishing works in clay, casting processes and sculptural assemblage. This foundation experience embraces contemporary art practice, also introducing students to the theoretical and conceptual dimensions of spatial art forms.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2020
- Semester 2 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Create spatial art works, from a range of materials and through a variety of processes, in response to project briefs and weekly tutorial content.
2. Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the historical, theoretical and conceptual contexts of contemporary spatial art works.
3. Research and apply the basic technical, theoretical and conceptual principles of spatial art practice.
4. Employ tools and materials in a competent and safe manner while engaged in the creation of spatial art works, both in tutorials and independently.
Content will include:
- Introduction to basic sculptural processes of spatial art making, which may include modelling, casting and assemblage.
- Creating in three dimensions: the elements and principles of form matter and space.
- An introduction to the historical, theoretical and conceptual underpinnings of contemporary spatial art practice.
- Health and Safety regulations.
Project: Project 1: Studio Production and Projects 40%
Journal: Journal A: Studio Journal/Research 10%
Project: Project 2: Studio Production and Projects 40%
Journal: Journal B: Studio Journal/Research 10%
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 4 Weeks
Weeks 1, 4, 8 and 11
Face to Face On Campus 32 hour(s) per Term Full Term starting in week 1
2 hour(s) per Week for 4 Weeks – Weeks 1, 4, 8 and 11 3 hour(s) per Week for 8 Weeks - Weeks 2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 12 and 13
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 1 Weeks starting in week 7