Girls' Choices Summer School
Applications for 2015 have closed
Sunday 6 December to Thursday 10 December 2015
This program is a five day residential university experience for female students in Year 9 from equity target groups across NSW. Students participate in a program of activities, lectures, workshops and industry visits which are designed to inspire students to build upon their potential to succeed in years 10, 11 and 12 and expose them to a wide range of study and career options that exist for HSC graduates.
Girls' Choices aims to:
- give students more confidence in their maths and science skills and their ability to achieve in these subjects
- identify the wide range of exciting and rewarding study and career options that exist for HSC graduates
- explain the value of further education
- experience life on campus like a real uni student
- learn about opportunities for their future
- develop their self-confidence and independence
- meet new people who have similar interests to them
- expand their awareness of career and study options
What can you expect?
Students will stay (fully supervised) in secure on campus university accommodation. Students will follow a timetable and complete on-campus activities related to science and maths subjects – including careers, lecture theatres, laboratories and classrooms. They will undertake field trips to local organisations to see their possible future careers in action. For the complete university experience, the girls will experience the fun stuff too; a visit to The Forum Sports and Aquatic Centre and a special event that will be revealed at the Summer School.
How much does it cost?
The Girls' Choices Summer School is supported by Commonwealth Equity funds with most expenses covered, including accommodation, all meals and excursions. Students do have to pay a non-refundable fee of $50 (Incl. GST) upon acceptance of their application. They are also responsible for all travel costs to and from Newcastle.