Young Mathematicians Program
Do you find mathematics interesting?
So do we! Come along to The University of Newcastle Young Mathematicians Program (UONYMP).
For Stage 5 - Years 9/10 students and Year 11 students. The program is open to all schools and it's free!
The Year 9/10 Program TERM 2 (Register by 10 May 2019)
- This group will meet 4-6pm every second Tuesday at the University as follows:
- May 14, May 28, June 11 & June 25 - In these workshops you will gain an insight into "Working Like A Mathematician"
The Year 9/10 Program TERM 3 (Register by 02 Aug 2019)
- This group will meet 4-6pm every second Tuesday at the University as follows
- Aug 6, Aug 20, Sep 3 & Sep 17 - In each of these workshops a mathematician will introduce you to a mathematical topic that they find interesting and then guide you through further explorations of that topic.
In order to promote interaction between all of the participants, the numbers will be limited to 40 students in total and to 5 students per school.
The Year 11 Program TERM 2 (Register by 03 May 2019)
Acknowledging that Year 11 students already have a rather heavy academic workload the Year 11 program will run for just one term.
- The Year 11 group will meet on every second Tuesday afternoon, 4‐6pm, at the University as follows:
- May 7, May 21, Jun 04, Jun 18 & Jul 02
UON will host a Stage 4 (Year 7/8) mini Young Mathematicians program in 2019.
The mini YMP will be on Tuesdays - 13 & 27 August and 10 & 25 September 2019 - this will be held at Hunter School for Performing Arts or at UON Callaghan campus - 4-5pm. Time and location to be confirmed. Hosting 4 speakers, each event will involve connecting students with Mathematics and Statistics in Practice, providing exemplar problems that occur in practice, and activities for students to engage with and enjoy mathematics and statistics.
By participating in UONYMP you will gain an insight into this world. For example you could find yourself:
- Seeing mathematical ideas not covered in your school courses, including some current mathematical research
- Learning how mathematicians think and work
- Seeing how new mathematics is created
- Using the latest mathematical software
- Working with other like-minded students
You can become involved with UONYMP at whatever level that suits you. You can attend as many (or as few) of the program activities as you want. It is up to you. However, if you stick with the program the aim is to get you to be creating some mathematics of your own.
Most of all, the program allows you to challenge and enjoy yourself mathematically in a fun and supportive and environment.
Partners and Sponsors
- CARMA: The Priority Research Centre for Computer-Assisted Research Mathematics and its Applications
- The Newcastle Mathematics Association
- University of Newcastle Mathematics Society
For further information, or to register, please contact Dr Malcolm Roberts (School of Mathematics and Physical Sciences) via:
T: +61 2 4921 6720 (during work hours)