Are you a high achieving science or mathematics student?
If so, the Merit Pathway may be for you. This program is designed for passionate students looking for opportunities and challenges beyond the standard undergraduate science or mathematics degree.
The Merit Pathway provides access to activities that will enrich your undergraduate experience and help you develop new skills to enhance your future.
- Receive a personalised mentoring and information program throughout the degree
- Find out about seminars and activities in your discipline area
- Be exposed to and participate in cutting edge research within the Faculty
- Collaborate with some of our leading researchers
- Have your participation in the Merit Pathway included in your academic transcript
The Merit Pathway provides a unique opportunity to conduct a small research project as part of your undergraduate degree. You will get a taste of what it is like to perform scientific research and further your knowledge in your discipline area.
These skills will give you a head start for further studies in Honours or a Research Higher Degree.
The projects are offered in second and third year in the specialised elective courses SCIT2500 and SCIT3500. These courses are only available to students in the Merit Pathway program. You do not have to take these courses in order to be part of the Merit Pathway and can still participate in other activities.
Summer vacation scholarships are also available. Successful applicants will undertake research projects over a six week placement during the summer vacation.
If you have been invited to apply to the Merit Pathway or would like to be considered for admission, you must complete an application form.
There are certain admission requirements which must be met to take part in the Merit Pathway:
- Students are invited to apply for admission to the Merit Pathway by the Pro Vice-Chancellor
- Admission for first-year students is based on your ATAR which must be equal to or greater than 90
- Admission in subsequent years is by cumulative GPA which must be equal or greater than 6.0
- You must maintain a GPA average of 6.0 in order to remain in the pathway.
- Variations to these requirements may be considered and are at the discretion of the Merit Pathway Convenor