New Colombo Student Opportunities
CIFAL 2019 NEW COLOMBO ELECTIVE
Understanding Sustainable Development and Resilience in South Korea and Australia
CIFAL Newcastle was successful in receiving New Colombo Funding for 15 students to undertake an international elective for July 2019, within the countries of Incheon and Jeju, South Korea.
This is an exciting opportunity available for undergraduate and honours students enrolled at the University of Newcastle.
Students will undertake a study tour to Incheon and Jeju, South Korea for two weeks at the beginning of July. This opportunity will be provided as part of the 2019 electives run by the School of Architecture and Built Environment.
Students will participate in:
* Introduction to concepts of disaster risk reduction and resilience building, learning to apply these principles in diverse contexts at the United Nations Institute for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) in Incheon.
* Participating in an international youth workshop focusing on aspects of sustainable development, exchanging ideas with international peers at the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) at CIFAL Jeju.
How do I pay for it?
The Australian Government through the New Colombo Plan Scholarship is providing $3,000 scholarships for students to undertake this experience.
This scholarship will cover the majority of the study tour, however students should budget up to $2,500 for extra costs associated with the trip.
To cover the extra costs, students may be able to receive an OS-HELP loan, for any amount from $500 to $7500.
Am I eligible to apply?
- Be an Australian citizen. Applicants cannot undertake the scholarship in a host location in which they hold dual residency, or which they have previously been a citizen or permanent resident.
- Enrolled in an undergraduate or honours program at the University of Newcastle
- Aged up to 28 years old (exceptions to this apply)
- Not already commenced a period of overseas study in the same host location
- GPA >5
- 300 word statement on how this opportunity is relevant to your studies and professional future
How do I apply?
Application process will be announced in early 2019.
Don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity!