Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
The Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment is focussed on the evaluation, review, development, recommendation and implementation of initiatives to promote gender equity and diversity through the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion committee.
The committee aims to promote a workplace which facilitates practices and policies that are equitable to all people, regardless of a person’s race, colour, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, age, physical or mental ability, marital or domestic status, family or carer’s responsibilities, pregnancy, religion, political opinion, nationality or social origin.
It is the mission of the committee to improve gender equality and diversity in all areas of Faculty teaching, research and services. It is recognised that some initiatives may be targeted towards members of underrepresented groups in order to advance progress towards equal representation.
- Align committee action plans with relevant institutional plans, including the Athena SWAN action plan, within the Faculty.
- Improve the representation of women in the Faculty in all levels: student, academics (particularly senior academic) and management roles.
- Improve the access, retention, participation for all underrepresented students, particularly female.
- Improve all aspects of the physical and cultural environment to foster inclusivity.
- Improve support for all underrepresented staff and students, through communication and effective procedures.
- Identify and direct resources to support initiatives within the committee plan such as equitable career progression through the Faculty.
- Act as a point of consultation for relevant institutional bodies wishing to discuss gender equality and diversity initiatives, and for individuals or groups of students and staff seeking to raise a gender and diversity related issue (outside of the university’s complaint process).
- Report to the Faculty executive, Faculty Board, Schools and/or disciplines and students through regular forums.