Research in Historical, Cultural and Critical Inquiry
Sometimes the questions we ask are beyond the expertise of any one scholar. Through collaborative research projects we draw upon multiple disciplines in order to open new horizons in humanities research.
The Centre for the History of Violence is a world-first collaboration that applies new historical knowledge to advance humanity's understanding of violence. Members of the Centre explore every aspect of the history of violence, including concepts of violence, representations of violence, questions of interpersonal violence and issues of political and cultural violence.
Wine studies research is a humanities and social science-based field at University of Newcastle. Cross-discipline collaboration in this field includes scholars from history, social science, business and tourism.
This project involves the development of a digital Dictionary of Newcastle. It will bring the city’s historical archives into an online format with reliable online, searchable source of historical knowledge on Newcastle's past as it relates to coal and other forms of employment and culture.
The major aim of the project is to help to tell a story yet to be told at an international, national and local level. The stories will be interpreted through a public exhibition to be held at Watt Space Gallery. The project will uncover many stories about this significant social and policy issue in the Newcastle and Hunter region, including: a detailed analysis of the postal survey vote; impacts on LGBT+ mental health; lobbying to bring about change, and the panoply of responses from both LGBT+ individuals and social groups.
We also network with resource organisations that help us enrich the Newcastle Hunter region’s cultural heritage.
- History Council of New South Wales: historycouncilnsw.org.au
- Australian Historical Association: theaha.org.au
- The Australian Archaeological Institute at Athens: sydney.edu.au/arts/…australian-archaeological-institute-at-athens.html
- University of Newcastle Auchmuty Library GlamX Lab: newcastle.edu.au/library/access/places-and-spaces/cultural-collections/glamx-lab
- Futher information can also be found at Hunter Living Histories: hunterlivinghistories.com/glamx/
- Hunter Living Histories: hunterlivinghistories.com
- University of Newcastle’s Cultural Collections: newcastle.edu.au/library/access/places-and-spaces/cultural-collections
- Newcastle Writers Festival: newcastlewritersfestival.org.au
- Hidden Honeysuckle: honeysuckleplacemaking.com/hidden-honeysuckle/
- Living Histories Newcastle: livinghistories.newcastle.edu.au
- Newcastle and Hunter District Historical Society: heritagehunter.org.au/newcastle-hunter-district-historical-society-in
- History at Newcastle Facebook: facebook.com/HistoryAtNewcastl