People in Historical, Cultural and Critical Inquiry
Our team regularly produces new research knowledge on their areas of expertise as well as making it accessible to others through teaching and public engagement initiatives. Further details can be found on their university profile pages linked below.
Dr. Kate Ariotti - History
- Expertise: Australian history; the First World War; prisoners of war; war and society.
Dr. Liz Baynham - Ancient History
- Expertise: cultural studies; Greek studies; historical studies.
Dr. James Bennett - History
- Expertise: Australia and the Pacific; Australian history; documentary film; gender and sexuality; history, film and representation; the First World War especially film and representation; the Labour movement; war and society.
Dr. Kit Candlin - History
- Expertise: American History, especially colonial America; European empires; the history of violence and war.
Associate Professor Nancy Cushing - History
- Expertise: air pollution; Australian cultural history; environmental history; food studies; heritage studies; human/animal relations; Newcastle; urban history
Dr. Sacha Davis - History
- Expertise: Germany; Habsburg; Hungary; Roma; Romania; Saxon; Transylvania; Transylvanianism; Zigeuner; diaspora; eugenics; fascism; landscape; migration; minority; nationalism; transnationalism; travel writing; travelogue; wine.
Professor Philip Dwyer - History
- Expertise: biography; eighteenth-century Europe; Europe and the world; film and history; history of violence; modern European history; the French Revolution and Napoleon; the massacre in history; war memoirs; war and society.
Professor Victoria Haskins - History
- Expertise: Aboriginal history; Australian history; colonialism; cross-cultural history; dance history; domestic labour; domestic service; gender history; Indigenous history (US, Asia); museum studies; women's history.
Professor Marguerite Johnson - Ancient History
- Expertise: classical reception; gender and sexuality studies; Greek and Latin literature; magic in antiquity; myth and fairytale.
Associate Professor Hans-Lukas Kieser - History
- Expertise: Alevilik history; Armenian history; biography; contemporary Middle East; genocide; history of Turkey; massacre; modern history; modern history of the Kurds; Ottoman Empire; political violence; violence studies; religion; war; World War I.
Dr. Hugh Lindsay -Ancient History
- Expertise: Roman imperial history; Greek and Roman historiography; Roman biography, especially Suetonius; Greek and Roman society; ancient geography; the geographer Strabo.
Dr. Julie McIntyre - History
- Expertise: agriculture; Australia's Atlantic; Australian and international wine studies; environmental history; global Newcastle; histories of science; knowledge mobilities; theories of civilising processes; tourism; trans-imperial migration.
Associate Professor Wayne Reynolds - History
- Expertise: Defence history; international affairs.
Dr. Elizabeth Roberts-Pedersen - History
- Expertise: gender and war; history of psychiatry; war memorialisation; World War II.
Dr. Timothy Stanley - Studies of Religion and Head of Cluster for Historical, Cultural and Critical Inquiry
- Expertise: philosophy of religion; intellectual history; history of religious ideas.