Faculty Gender Equity Committee
As a Faculty, we strive to make a difference by creating new knowledge, preparing our students for global citizenship, and contributing to the progress of Australia and the Asia-Pacific region. We aim to provide an innovative, dynamic and inclusive learning community in collaboration with our external partners and stakeholders. We are committed to equity, the quality and impact of our research, and our strong engagement with local communities and international partners.
Aligning with the University of Newcastle's (UON) NeW Futures strategic plan, the Faculty is committed to equity and social justice, to providing global leadership in equity and to working to challenge inequalities in higher education. The Faculty of Business and Law (FBUSL) is striving to build on our equity and social justice values, by focusing on creating a diverse and equitable workforce.
The FBUSL will establish a Gender Equity Committee which will aim to develop, guide and implement strategic initiatives and progress towards goals by creating a new organisational culture, eliminating unconscious bias in higher education. The FBUSL Gender Equity Committee will report to the Faculty Executive Committee. It will also contribute to the work of the SAGE Athena SWAN pilot team to enable the identification of wider gender equity initiatives.
The FBUSL Gender Equity Committee will aim to achieve the following goals by 2020:
- Improve the representation of women in senior level academic and professional levels by 2020.
- Retain a gender diverse workforce for all Faculty staff. Currently, like other Universities, there is an under-utilisation of women in senior academic and professional staff positions and an historic gender pay gap between men and women.
- Implement a flexible workplace that enables staff to balance work and life responsibilities.
- Leadership accountability for the promotion and support of an organisation culture and working environment that is fair to both women and men.
The FBUSL Gender Equity Committee consists of:
- Professor Jim Jose (Co-Chair)
- Ms Kate Ramzan-Levy (Co-Chair)
- Ms Melanie Gibson (Secretary)
- Ms Bronwyn Green, PVC Unit
- Ms Sher Campbell, Newcastle Law School
- Ms Jacqueline Svenson, Newcastle Law School
- Dr Janet Dzator, Newcastle Business School
- Dr Sara Motta, Newcastle Business School
- Dr Richard Oloruntoba, Newcastle Business School
- Ms Parvaneh Pirani, Higher Degree Researcher
- Mr Mark Apthorpe, Higher Degree Researcher
Student Sub Committee:
- 1 x Newcastle Business School
- 1 x Newcastle Law School