Keep Studying Newstep in 2020
How to calculate your progress
Remember, to successfully complete Newstep you need to pass a total of 80 units, including compulsory core courses and directed courses. Visit the program page for the list of courses and completion requirements.
Check your grades in myHub and use the following to calculate how many units you need to complete Newstep:
*Passed units include grades P, C, D, HD, UP or EX. For more information on grade codes click here. Please note you cannot attempt a course again that you have already passed.
Any Fail (FF), Withdraw (WW) or Incomplete (I) grades do not count towards completing your program, you will need to attempt the same course again, or try a different course and pass it.
If you are working towards a particular degree, visit the recommended courses page where you can access a Program Plan and tick off the courses you have successfully completed to help you stay on track.
Your options to continue
- Complete the Newstep program as soon as possible - enrol in the remaining courses1 needed for you to complete the program in Semester 1 and you could start your undergraduate degree in Semester 2 20202. This option is only available if you have passed EPHUMA123 Academic Literacies 2.
- Complete the Newstep program by the end of 2020 - take the full 2 years to complete Newstep. If you have not passed EPHUMA123 Academic Literacies 2 you will not be able to complete your program until passing this in Semester 2 2020.
- Change to Open Foundation - Withdraw from Newstep and apply to the Open Foundation Program3 commencing in Semester 1, 2020. If you wish to change to Open Foundation, please complete and submit the application ASAP.
1Do not exceed 50 units of enrolled courses in one Semester.
2Not all degrees are offered for mid-year entry.
3You must be turning 20 years of age or older in the year of commencing Open Foundation
- Visit the program page for the list of courses and completion requirements for the program, as well as the recommended courses page.
- Use our prepare to enrol guide to create a draft timetable and plan which courses you'll take in Semester 1.
- Check the important dates below and continue to check your email over the break for more information about enrolment and class selection.
- Newcastle Students: Contact the Program Convenor at Callaghan to discuss your options.
- Central Coast Students: Contact the Deputy Program Convenor at Ourimbah to discuss your options.
Semester 1 2020 important dates
TUESDAY 10 DECEMBER 2019
10AM THURSDAY 30 JANUARY 2020
MONDAY 24 FEBRUARY 2020
|Semester 1 Enrolment Opens|
Click here for an enrolment guide
|Semester 1 Class Selection Opens|
Click here for a class selection guide
|Semester 1 Classes Begin|
View the University key dates