Health and Safety Management at UoN
Are you "in the know" about Health and Safety?
Get to know the system and how to make it work for you!
Have you noticed something at work that may need to be changed to improve people's health and safety, but don't know how to go about doing it?
The University has a Health and Safety Management System (HSMS) that will help.
The webpage www.newcastle.edu.au/service/health-safety/ohs-management-system/ contains 5 key documents, which have recently been updated:
- The HSMS Guide and Overview (with hyperlinks to other important information and systems)
- The HSMS Manual
- The HSMS Map (which contains hyperlinks to all University Health and Safety related policies, procedures, systems, and relevant external website information and is divided into categories and you can search using the find function - Control + F)
- The Health and Safety Responsibility Matrix and Accountability Map (which identify Induction and Training requirements, Core Responsibilities/ Accountabilities, Relevant Policies & Procedures & Required System Knowledge for each position group at the University).
Taking the time to read through the HSMS documents will help to ensure that you have the knowledge require to stay safe at work, an understanding of your responsibilities with respect to Health and Safety, and are also able to assist others.
'How do you eat an elephant? One piece at a time!'
The Health and Safety team recommends that you don't try to read it all at once, however, as there is a lot of information there. We suggest you familiarise yourself with something that is relevant to your role rather than trying to understand it all at once.
It is also important to ensure that you have completed the Online Health and Safety Induction available via this link: www.newcastle.edu.au/service/health-safety/health-safety-support/ohs-induction.html
Further information is available on the Health and Safety website. If you have any questions regarding the Health and Safety Management System or documentation contact Senior Safety Officer Dylan Mitchell on ext: 12053.
Please remember that if you identify a hazard, you should:
- control it if possible
- isolate the area
- contact Security Services on ext: 15888 (Callaghan) or 84222 (Ourimbah) or 16293 (Port Macquarie)
- complete the hazard report through the Online Incident Reporting System.