Changes to Delegations Authority Policy
In October 2011, the University Council approved a revised Delegations of Authority Policy including schedules on Procurement, Purchasing and Expenditure. The key changes include the following:
- Expenditure delegations are granted to specific positions within the University
- The introduction of specific requirements relating to procurement
- Expenditure delegations now vary depending on the type of expenditure
The University’s finance system, TechnologyOne Financials, has being successfully updated to reflect the revised policy. As a result, you will notice a number of system changes to user authorities and workflows, including:
- Your default approver may be a different person as a result of the policy changes to which positions hold delegated authority
- Certain categories of expenditure will automatically workflow to Financial Services for secondary approval as required by the revised policy, eg capital expenditure and research expenditure over $5,000
- Automatic escalation will be activated meaning that approvers will receive an email reminder if they have not approved or rejected a purchase requisition or order amendment within 5 working days. If a further 4 working days pass without approval or rejection the item will escalate to the next senior position holding delegated authority. This process will continue until the item is approved or rejected.
Implementing the revised policy changes in the finance system will help provide the following:
- Compliance with the policy requirements on Purchasing and Expenditure
- Escalation measures to ensure requisitions are promptly dealt with
- Improved purchasing and approval processes appropriate for an organisation of the University’s size
Action Required by TechnologyOne Users, where applicable
All purchase requisitions that were unapproved as at midday Friday 22 June 2012 will need to be resubmitted for approval. To do this, please complete the following steps:
- Go to ‘Create/Amend, Delete Purchase Requisition’ tab on the Main Menu and resubmit the Requisition.
Please note: The ‘Default’ approver may have changed in line with the new policy. You can still manually change this ‘Default’ approver if necessary.
Training Tips for Authorisers
- To create an Alert - Please activate Workflow Item Alerts in TechnologyOne, this will help you manage any Requisitions that are submitted to you. Note: There is a module for Alerts in Blackboard as part of the Workflow for Approvers Computer Based Training at:
Updated training courses have been developed for new users of the finance system. Specific courses for people with delegated authority on how to approve expenditure in the finance system are also available on HR online.
The following documents are available on the finance web page at: www.newcastle.edu.au/units/financial-services
- Revised Delegations Policy and Schedules
- Escalation and enquiries contact list
- Information sheet: How to log in to TechnologyOne Financials
- Form: Request for Access to TechnologyOne Financials
- Form: Nomination For Special Delegation Authority
Controlled Entities of the University are not impacted by the changes to the University’s policy or finance system.