University construction projects: an update
Have you noticed some construction activity around your campus and would like to know what's going on or where things are up to?
In the Loop has sourced an update from our friends in Facilities Management, who have been working hard on the following projects happening now, or nearing completion:
- Ourimbah library - extension of the campus library is complete and open for business. The project includes new student access to computer terminals, group study rooms, new information and help desk and also a parenting room. An upgrade to the quadrangle with new landscaping and outdoor furniture were also a part of this project.
- Science Lab 1 (SL1) - the project to install a major new air conditioning system in SL1 has commenced. The project will greatly improve the research and teaching spaces in this building.
- Industry Development Centre (IDC) - refurbishment of the IDC is nearing completion and we are in the process of relocating groups into the building.
- Shortland Union Courtyard - construction is underway on the new landscaping in the Derkenne Courtyard of the Shortland Union. The work involves extensive stormwater works as well as improved landscaping and seating.
- Bar on the Hill - renovations to the Bar on the Hill is complete. The work included refurbishment of the interior spaces as well as improvements to the external stage area and lawn.
- HE02 Food Technology Lab - refurbishment of the food tech labs for the Faculty of Health are underway and expected to be complete in March. The refurbished space will include 10 teaching kitchen bays, demonstration kitchen with lecture seating, audio visual facilities and preparation area.
- Medical Sciences building (MS) - the replacement of the goods lift has commenced and is expected to be completed in the second half of 2012.
- Biology Building - replacement of the lift in Biology has commenced with demolition work to continue for another 6 weeks. The project is expected to be complete by the middle of 2012.