Your Health and Safety over the holiday season
The Health and Safety Team and Human Resource Services wish you all a happy and safe Christmas and New Year and hope to see you all well and rested when you return in 2012.
To help you to have a happy and safe time, the team has put together some tips for controlling some of those unwanted risks:
- Ensure the electrical appliances such as Christmas Tree lights or other Christmas lights are plugged fully into the socket before turning them on and turn them off before you go to bed or leave the house
- Always use appropriate, strong and stable ladders or surfaces for accessing heights to install decorations or lighting
- Avoid creating or escalating any family conflicts and remember that the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) or Lifeline are available over the Christmas break to discuss strategies to assist
- If staying at other people's homes, ensure you know the location of the keys to deadlocked doors and windows
- Ensure any driving is done when the driver is alert and well rested. The NRMA website has a range of useful holiday driving safety tips
- Remember to wear covered clothing and sun block whenever you are outside enjoying the sunshine. If you are planning to visit the beach, you may also like to visit the Surf Life Saving site relating to beach safety
- If you are planning to go camping, there is some useful information available via the Fire and Rescue NSW website
- There is also a wealth of other useful holiday safety info available at the Better Health Channel website.