The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) requires Australian Universities to sponsor overseas occupational trainees to their institutions by way of nomination for a subclass 402 visa – Occupational Trainee Stream. The University of Newcastle is an accredited sponsor for this visa class.
This visa allows people to complete workplace-based training in Australia on a temporary basis. The training must provide people with additional or enhanced skills in the nominated occupations, tertiary studies or fields of expertise.
People may be nominated for this visa if the proposed occupational training is one of the following:
- training or practical experience in the workplace required for the person to obtain registration for employment in their occupation in Australia or in their home country;
- structured workplace training program to enhance the person’s existing skills in an eligible occupation;
- structured workplace training to enhance the person’s skills and promote capacity building overseas.
Obligations for the University and the nominating academic
The University and nominating academic must comply with certain obligations relating to this visa sponsorship. In particular, the University is required to notify the department of certain events within 10 days of the event occurring. Therefore it is the responsibility of the nominating academic to inform the Immigration Co-ordinator immediately of any changes relating to the Trainee, including:
1. The information provided in the application such as address or contact details changes
2. The trainee fails to participate in the activity for which they were nominated
3. The trainee ceases the activity for which they were nominated, prior to the agreed cessation date.
Failure to comply with these obligations may result in sanctions being placed on the University, such as fines, and/or barring of future visa sponsorship.
- The nominating academic is required to complete the Occupational Trainees Request Form, and attach:
A copy of the candidates passport;
A copy of the candidates CV;
A copy of the training agreement between the home institution and UoN.
- The request must be approved by the Head of School and the Pro-Vice Chancellor.
- The request and associated attachments must be sent to the Immigration Co-ordinator in Human Resource Services for processing and lodgment with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.
The nominating academic and responsible Faculty must comply with the Volunteer Policy and associated procedures.
The nomination and visa should be lodged simultaneously, the Immigration Co-ordinator will liaise with the visitor in regards to the lodgment of the visa application.
The costs of the nomination and visa application will be borne by the nominating academic, school or Faculty. Click here for the current charges.
The Department of Immigration and Citizenship website provides further information on the process and obligations for sponsors and visa applicants: