Welcome to the University of Newcastle, Australia.
The University of Newcastle is committed to the highest possible standards in teaching, learning and research. Our high academic standards, superb recreational facilities, natural surroundings, award-winning buildings and excellent access to the latest technology are all part of the reason why students choose to study at the University of Newcastle.
The University of Newcastle is recognised nationally and internationally for excellence in key areas, including engineering and research performance. We are committed to the pursuit of quality and strive to further improve our results in all aspects of higher education.
The University - Facts and Figures
- We have a student population of more than 35,500, including over 7,800 international students from more than 80 countries. Our campuses at Newcastle, Central Coast and Port Macquarie are in bushland settings and close to some of Australia's most beautiful beaches.
- The University offers programs from five locations: Newcastle, Ourimbah, Port Macquarie, and Singapore, and nearly 4000 students studying online across the globe. The University has also established a presence in Sydney, offering Postgraduate Business and Accounting programs as well as ELICOS.
- The largest campus, at Callaghan, is set on a 125 hectare natural bushland site, about 12km west of the Newcastle City Centre. Our Central Coast campus is located on an 80 hectare site, adjacent to national parkland, on the Central Coast at Ourimbah, about halfway between Newcastle and Sydney. The University’s Conservatorium of Music, Legal Centre and Graduate School of Business are all located near Civic Park in the centre of Newcastle.
- Our Language Centre is fully equipped with an excellent reputation throughout Australia for the quality of its ELICOS teaching and has been one of Australia’s foremost centres for English language training for over twenty years. The centre is also an official test centre for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- The University has a vibrant research culture and has enjoyed strong and increasing success in research performance. We hold a unique place in the Australian higher education sector as the most research-intensive university outside of an Australian capital city. Our research strengths lie in the important areas of health, energy and the environment, as well as science and engineering.
- Currently ranking in the top 10 Australian universities for high quality research output.
- Offering a broad range graduate and postgraduate programs including most of the professional degree programs such as Architecture, Law, Medicine, Engineering, Teaching, Surveying, Social Work, Science, and Nursing. As well, we offer a vast array of courses in disciplines such as Computing, Fine Art, Modern Languages, Classics, History, Mathematics, Economics, Business, Nutrition and Dietetics, Sociology and Anthropology, Philosophy, Communications, and Tourism and Hospitality, to name just a few.
- Operate the largest single site accommodation complex of any university in Australia. There are close to 1,000 students living on the Callaghan campus in three traditional halls of residence and one new motel style complex.
- Fantastic sporting facilities at our Callaghan Campus. The Forum Sports and Aquatic Centre houses a state of the art 50m indoor heated pool, an 18m climbing wall (one of the highest in Australia), a fully equipped gymnasium, two martial arts/aerobics studios and two competition indoor courts for sports such as basketball and volleyball.
- Our students are our number one priority. When you come to the University of Newcastle you become part of a community intent on ensuring that your time with us is not just educationally successful but memorable and fun.