Viticulturalist» search for more Jobs
Viticulturalists plan, supervise and coordinate the growing of selected grape varieties for the production of wine.
Viticulturalists may perform the following tasks:
- talk to winemakers
- conduct various laboratory tests to monitor the progressive growth of grapes, to make sure of their quality and calculate the correct time for harvest
- organise the crushing and pressing of grapes, the settling of juice and the fermentation of grape material
- supervise, manage and train winery workers involved in the production and harvesting of grapes
- manage the propagation and cultivation of the vineyard including soil management, irrigation, disease and weed control
- direct and oversee general growing activities such as fertilising and pest and weed control
- supervise the maintenance of the vineyard during the off-season
- give guided tours, conduct tastings and advise visitors about various aspects of wine and grapes
- keep records of techniques used and harvest outcomes for each season
Scientific knowledge is increasingly important in viticulture and some viticulturalists specialise in the research and development of grape varieties.