Early Childhood Teacher / Pre-school Teacher» search for more Jobs
Early childhood teachers teach and care for young children in the 0 – 6 years age range. They plan and conduct education programs aimed at developing growth in the areas of physical, intellectual, social and personal development. Catering for the wide range of individual needs for young people in this age group means that early childhood trained teachers may teach in early childhood centres, pre-schools and infants school settings. The broad range of activities and responsibilities includes:
- Discussing the educational and developmental needs of children with their parents and other educators
- Planning and implementing age and ability appropriate activities for children, using a range of materials and resources
- Actively encourage the development of children’s physical coordination abilities, social skills, creativity, self-expression and interest in learning
- Promoting children’s language development and self-confidence through play, storytelling, drama, music and discussion
- Organising excursions and guest visitors to enhance children’s learning experiences
- Observing, evaluating and recording children’s progress to detect signs of developmental disorders, ill health or emotional disturbances
- Recommending appropriate remedial or extension programs when needed
- Working collaboratively with families/carers, speech pathologists, psychologists and other professionals to assist children with special needs
- Helping to integrate children with special needs into mainstream classes
- Attending to the immediate care needs of babies and young children such as toileting and personal hygiene, feeding, providing first aid, comfort and support
- Participate in staff meetings, attend parent committee meetings, engage in community activities
Qualifications required to work as an early childhood teaching include an associate diploma or degree with the specialisation in early childhood teaching. A degree or higher qualification may be useful in moving into Director roles in some settings.
A strong interest in caring for and nurturing babies and young children is essential. Strong communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to work with a wide range of people, together with a creative approach is required for this role. Criminal record checks will be completed before employment.