Dental Assistant/Dental Nurse» search for more Jobs
Dental Assistants prepare patients for oral examinations and assist in providing treatment for the teeth, mouth and gums. Dental Assistants work closely with dentists and may also provide assistance to dental therapists and dental hygienists and may also carry out reception and administrative tasks.
In general, tasks may include:
- preparation of patients and assist the dentist in carrying our dental procedures including examinations and treatments
- organise and ensure correct instruments and materials are prepared for surgery procedures
- provide information for patients on dental procedures including passing advice from dental practitioners
- clean and sterilise instruments used in procedures and carry out infection control measures in the surgery
- process dental x-rays
- maintenance of patient records, process accounts and send out reminders
Usually a TAFE qualification is required for these positions, however many oral health university graduates commence their careers in Dental Assistant roles.