Architect» search for more Jobs
An architect is trained and licensed in planning and designing buildings, and participates in supervising the construction of a building. Architects use creativity, innovation,investigation, critical observation, an understanding of structures and 3-dimensional experimentation to develop concepts, plans, specifications and detailed drawings
They provide leadership in the design and construction of the built environment, collaborating with engineers, builders and other design professionals, to create the environment in which we live.
Architects perform the following tasks:
- Prepare sketch drawings, production drawings and detailed drawings in a manner that can be communicated to clients and other building professionals
- Obtain necessary approvals from authorities
- Discuss and analyse requirements of clients or builders and prepare a brief
- Design buildings that take into account structural, mechanical, functional and artistic elements
- Discuss design constraints with clients and others involved in the project, including engineers, quantity surveyors, landscape architects and town planners
- Prepare specifications and contract documents specifying building materials, construction equipment and, in some cases, the interior furnishings, for builders, tradespeople and legal advisers
- Monitor and provide advice as construction is in progress to ensure that design objectives are met
- Evaluate projects once they are completed and occupied
In Australia the title of architect is legally protected but architects are registered through state boards affiliated through the Architects Accreditation Council of Australia (AACA).
There are three key requirements for registration: a professional degree from a school of architecture accredited by the AACA; at least two years of practical experience, and; the completion of the architectural practice examination.Graduate Architect:
A graduate architect performs the tasks of an architect but has not completed the two years of practical experience, and/or the architectural practice examination.