There are all sorts of things you can cover in a planning session. To keep your communication planning session focused following is a suggested agenda:
- Explain the purpose of the meeting and the agenda
- Invite people to introduce themselves
Agree on your communication objectives
- What do you want this plan to achieve?
- List the main messages you need to communicate
Audiences or stakeholders
- List all of the different groups of people who need to understand your project, these are your audiences
- Prioritise and select the most critical six audiences
Address the following questions with the group, for each of the identified audiences:
- Where are they today in terms of understanding and commitment?
- Where do we need them to be?
- What do they need to hear to help them get there?
- How should this happen (eg face to face, NuNet etc)?
- Who should be responsible for managing the communication?
- How will we know this has worked? How do we measure success?
- In the next three months what must happen and when?
What is critical?
- List your actions with dates and responsibilities
- Summarise what has been covered
- Outline what happens next