Dr Rodney ( Rod ) Beattie
|Work Phone||(02) 9872 0816|
|Fax||(02) 9873 1614|
Conjoint Senior Lecturer
School of Education
The University of Newcastle, Australia
|Office||28, Renwick Centre|
After completing my PhD in 1989/1990, I was awarded two postdoctoral fellowships and that period of over 5 years was a very productive time for research and publication. During that time and for the first two years when I moved to Australia I was also the editor of the Journal of the Canadian Association of Educators of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
After settling in at Renwick College/Centre I continued to publish actively until I assumed the role of Head of College/Graduate Programs in 2001. Since this time student enrollment numbers have consistently increased and research and publication has had to take a back seat to teaching and administration.
- Cochlear implants
- Hearing aids
- Language development
- Five years researching pragmatic language competencies of individuals with hearing impairments.
- Three years working on a study of children with hearing impairments using cochlear implants and hearing aids.
- Two years working on an edited book on ethics, education, and deafness.
Fields of Research
|130300||Specialist Studies In Education||75|
|119999||Medical And Health Sciences Not Elsewhere Classified||25|
Centres and Groups
- Reviewer - Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education
Outstanding Contribution Award
Canadian Association of Educators of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (Canada)
- Two years co-managing the Teacher of the Deaf program at the University of Alberta.
- Six years as Head of College/Head of Graduate Programs at Renwick College/Centre.
- language/speech development, hearing impairment, hearing aids, cochlear implants, communication assessment
- Twenty-two years teaching graduate courses on audiology, speech, language, and communication.