Dr Ian Cook
|Work Phone||(02) 4921 8936|
School of Creative Arts
The University of Newcastle, Australia
|Office||CON501, The Conservatorium Of Music|
- PhD (Music), University of Newcastle, 2009
- Master of Music, University of Newcastle, 2000
- music performance
Research experience falls under the following categories:
1. Conducting wind orchestra in the areas of new repertoire and specially commisioned works for the genre.
2.Conducting opera that has been researched at high levels pertaining to historically informed performance practice (this has been the research focus of my PhD candidature which is nearing completion).
3. A research focus was developed during my candidature for M.Mus where the performing practice of the basset clarinet was explored in preparing a performance edition of the Mozart Clarinet Quintet K581.
Fields of Research
|199999||Studies In The Creative Arts And Writing Not Elsewhere Classified||100|
Vice Chancellor's Award
The Universtiy of Newcastle (Australia)
For musical direction of The University of Newcastle Wind Orchestra in winning the 1997 Australian national Band Championships - Open A Grade
A High Commendation for Excellence in Teaching
University of Newcastle (Australia)
Recipient of a Teaching Award 1992
1. Curriculum Teaching and Learning Convenor for the School of Drama, Fine Art and Music.
2. Director of the Non Tertiary Program.
3. Director of Bands for both non-tertiary and tertieary ensembles.
4. Serve on the School Executive.
- Teaching clarinet, conducting,ensemble studies
1. One on one clarinet teaching at both non-tertiary and tertiary level (undergraduate and post graduate)
2. One on one and class teaching of conducting at both non-tertiary and tertiary level (undergraduate and post graduate).
3. Class teaching for Studio Teaching undergraduate students.
4. Ensemble coaching in chamber music at undergraduate level.
5. Ensemble coaching in large ensemble (wind orchestra).