Peter Newton holds a Bachelor of Science Metallurgy, a Master of Business Administration, a Bachelor of Environmental Engineering (with First Class Honours) and a Bachelor of Civil Engineering (with Honours II Class 1) all through the University of Newcastle.
Peter thoroughly enjoys his laboratory demonstration work because it is a chance to instil some life experience and to broaden the understanding of undergraduate students.
- Surface expression of shallow mining/ageing subsidence cracks
- Locating underground coal fires through geophysical techniques
- Measurement of subsurface temperatures
- Heat flow through rock strata/role of faults and joints
- Heat and mass balance for underground coal fires
Thesis Topic:Extinguishing Coal Seam Fires By Extraction of Geothermal Energy
- Dr Olivier Buzzi
- Professor Stephen Fityus