Prof. Bruce King
Prof. Bruce King has more than 25 years experience in surface analysis and ion surface interactions. Specifically, he has experience in:
- Surface and thin film analysis using the ion beam techniques of low energy ion scattering spectroscopy (LEIS) and secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS);
- Theoretical and experimental investigations of the basic mechanisms of damage caused to the surface by energetic ion impact ;
- Analysis of the atoms and molecules ejected from surfaces using laser based techniques; and
- The application of surface and thin film analysis and the use of ion beam modification to improve surfaces.
Grants and Funding
Prof. King has received (jointly with other scientists) research funds totalling over $1.9M. For grants administered through the University of Newcastle Research Office see the Researcher report link at the bottom of this page.
Prof. King has jointly supervised more than 20 postgraduate students since 1995, more than 15 of whom have now completed their studies and graduated. Overall he has successfully supervised research students from India, Bangladesh, France, Germany, Denmark, Holland, China, Serbia and Australia. For details see the Researcher report.
- Organiser of the international workshop Postionisation Techniques of Surface Analysis (PITSA6) at Newcastle (1998).
Visiting Research Associate
- Argonne National Laboratory (USA)
- University of Surrey (UK)