Click to show Site menu [+]

Student Personal Accident/Injury Insurance

The University of Newcastle currently has in force a Personal Accident and Injury Insurance Policy for all enrolled students (undergraduate and postgraduate) on a 24 hour day basis 365 days a year. The policy provides cover whilst the student is on campus and/or engaged in University/Course/Sport related activities and/or practical placement or community placement including necessary travel to and from such activities in Australia. It is an accident cover only and does not cover illness.  The Policy is limited and you should obtain your own insurance if you require more comprehensive coverage.

The policy includes a $50.00 excess for each claim.

Student Personal Accident Policy covers:

  • Death and capital benefit
  • Weekly injury benefit
  • Home tutorial benefit
  • Injury assistance benefit
  • Modification benefit
  • Medical expenses related to injury up to $100,000.00 (only those not claimable on Medicare)

This policy responds after claims are made on any private medical insurance held by the student.

Refer to the Schedule for the level of cover.

In the event of an Injury

  1. An accident and injury form should be completed.
  2. Claims should be lodged as soon as possible. It is not necessary to wait for treatment to be completed, part claims can be lodged. In such cases the claim should be clearly labeled part claim, detailing whether it is the first or final claim.
    **If claims are not lodged within 6 months they may be denied.
  3. Download the claim form:
    • Personal Accident (eg injury of student whilst on campus, on placement in Australia or playing for University sporting team)
  4. Complete the relevant sections taking note of the required supporting documentation that needs to be supplied.

    Please note that:

    • Insufficiently detailed and incomplete forms will result in a delay in processing claims.
    • If you are claiming loss of income benefits, your employer should complete the relevant section of the claim form, regarding period of your incapacity and employment details.
    • It is a requirement of the Policy that the insured person procure and follow medical advice from a legally qualified medical practitioner and compensation is only payable in respect of medical treatment prescribed by a legally qualified medical practitioner. A physiotherapist, chiropractor, etc. are not legally qualified medical practitioners.
    • The Policy only covers treatment received within twelve months of the date of the injury.
    • If a member has private health insurance or other sports insurance, they must claim on this in the first instance and then claim all non Medicare items though the University of Newcastle policy.

  5. Sign the Claim form.
  6. If you are a student please include your student number and include a copy of your student card as supporting documentation.
  7. Make a copy of your completed form and supporting documents prior to forwarding through.
  8. The completed claim form and supporting documents should be forwarded to the Insurance Team - contacts listed below.
  9. If you have not heard from the Insurers within four weeks of lodging your claim please advise the Insurance team.

NB: It is recommended that you make a copy of your completed form and supporting documents prior to forwarding through to the insurer.


Information and Contacts

Name Telephone Position
Shae McGrath (02) 4985 4366
Risk Officer
Risk and Assurance Services
Sara Knight (02) 4921 6489
Risk and Assurance Services

Note: The material furnished in this web site is for information purposes only and does not constitute an insurance contract upon which claims can be made. In the event of loss, damage or liability of any kind, the wording, terms, conditions and exclusions of the original policy shall have precedent over any other document.