University Refunds and Reimbursements

Students who withdraw from a course or subject early in a semester may be entitled to a refund. Read the following sections carefully if you need advice on this issue.

HECS Liable Students

This information is for students who have paid their HECS fees up front.

To be eligible for a refund of an up front HECS payment, you must withdraw from a course or program by the HECS census date for the semester. A refund will be sent to you after the relevant HECS census date.

If you withdraw from a course or program after the HECS census date you are not entitled to a refund of your HECS up front payment. If there are special circumstances that led to your withdrawal, the University may refund all or some of your semester debt. You will be required to provide detailed and relevant documentation to support your case.

International Students

In certain circumstances an International student will be entitled to a full or partial refund of tuition fees. For information regarding the International Students' Refund Policy contact the call centre on telephone (02) 4921 5333 or read the International Students Refund Policy.

Full Fee Postgraduate coursework students

If a student withdraws in writing from a subject/course prior to the prescribed date*, they shall be deemed not to have been enrolled in a subject/course. The University shall refund all fees.

Failure to pay the fees due by the prescribed date will result in cancellation of enrolment for the semester unless an approved repayment plan has been negotiated with Revenue.

Any student who is permitted by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor to enrol after the prescribed date shall be liable for the full fees due in that semester.

A student will be permitted to withdraw after the prescribed date until the last day of semester, however, there will be no refund entitlement unless exceptional circumstances have caused the withdrawal.

Applications for exceptional circumstance refunds must be in writing to the Manager, Fees & Scholarships with supporting documentation within 18 months of the formal notification of withdrawal. Refunds may be granted in exceptional circumstances with approval of the University Secretary and Registrar.

This refund policy does not apply to HECS liable students who are enrolled in Postgraduate courses. HECS liable students are subject to the rules governing enrolment and withdrawal in the Higher Education Funding Act.

* Prescribed date means, in the case of subjects taken in the standard semesters, the relevant HECS census date for the semester or, in any other case, the latest date of withdrawal without penalty as determined by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor on the advice of the relevant Faculty.

Non-Award students

To be eligible for a refund as a non-award student, you must withdraw from a subject or course by the HECS census date for the semester. If you withdraw from a subject or course after the HECS census date you are not entitled to a refund of your payment.

Staff Reimbursements

Reimbursement of work related expenses incurred by staff are done in the Spendvision system. User friendly documentation and a guide can be found at the Card Services website under Spendvision Resources. An email help service is also available at

Petty Cash

Petty cash is no longer available from the cashiers.

All staff must use the reimbursement functionality in Spendvision to claim any out of pocket business related expenses.

Student and Visitor Reimbursements

Students and Visitors will still be able to claim reimbursements by completing the Student and Visitor Reimbursement Form and submitting to the Accounts Payable section located in the Commonwealth Bank, Callaghan Campus.