A project to reform the University's Policy library was initiated in 2006. Its objective was to develop a streamlined Policy Library in which policies were coherently organised, easy to find, readable, and consistent in presentation and content.
Over the ensuing year, the project delivered:
- a revised glossary of governance terms;
- a new hierarchical policy framework;
- a reduction in the number of documents within the Policy Library;
- an enhanced search function;
- a procedure for developing policy and advice on the approval pathways for new or revised documents;
- templates for formatting policy documents; and
- a policy@newcastle website.
In 2008 that project delivered a new look Policy Library with improved search functions, additional advice on key policies for user groups, and a range of options for accessing policy information easily.
Policy Review Project 2008
In mid-2008 the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Services), Dr Sue Gould, initiated the Policy Review Project to undertake a further fundamental review of policy at the University of Newcastle and to provide strategies for improvement.
To evaluate the current policy@newcastle site with emphasis on improvements in relation to:
- the accessibility and useability of the Policy Library;
- the relevance, accuracy and readability of policies;
- the identification of policy gaps and issues;
- an assessment and review of the policy framework;
- the identification of current trends and innovation in policy provision; and
- strategies for improvement.
A Working Group has been established to undertake the review. It comprises:
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Health) (Chair) - Professor Mike Calford
- Acting President of Academic Senate - Professor Brailey Sims
- Academic Registrar - Ms Gail White
- Acting Director, Human Resource Services - Ms Julie Craig
- Director, Corporate Information - Ms Sandra Sirasch
- Head of School representative - Associate Professor Steve Weller, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Student Academic Conduct Officer representative - Dr Dianne Osland, School of Humanities and Social Science
- School Executive Officer representative - Mr Dylan Mitchell, School of Education
- Policy Officer, Governance and Policy - Ms Marie Dunn
- Project Manager, Policy Review - Ms Samantha Brookes
|Terms of Reference Drafted||March 2008|
|Project Manager Commenced||23 July 2008|
|Working Group Established||29 August 2008|
|Identification of Key Internal Stakeholders||29 August 2008|
|Interviews with Internal Stakeholders to investigate attitudes, values and beliefs in relation to policy||29 August 2008|
|Meetings of Project Review Working Group||19 September 2008
23 October 2008
27 November 2008
11 December 2008
|Consultation with Other Universities/External Organisations||30 October 2008|
|Consultation with University Staff re: Stakeholder Findings and Proposed Recommendations||December 2008|
|Focus Group Meetings re Findings and Proposed Recommendations||November 2008|
|Review Report completed||December 2008|
|Endorsement of the recommendations in the Review Report by the Vice-Chancellor and commitment to funding||January 2009|
The project has been established initially for the period August 2008 to February 2009 however the implementation period is expected to continue throughout 2009.
Project Manager - Policy Review
Telephone: (02) 4921 6406
In Person: Governance & Policy Unit, Student Centre, Callaghan Campus