- Who can request interlibrary loans?
- What can I request?
- Does it cost me anything?
- How long does it take to get it?
- What if I want it urgently?
- Where does it get delivered to?
- How long do I have it?
- What if I want it for longer?
- Where do I return it?
1. Who can request interlibrary loans?click to hideclick to show
All current University of Newcastle staff and students are eligible to use get it.
2. What can I request?click to hideclick to show
- Books (or a copy of a chapter)
- Research Reports
- Journal articles
- Conference proceedings
- Audio Visual material, i.e. videos, kits and microform, etc
- Intercampus copies
Please note: not all libraries will lend this material and the loan period may be shorter than a normal loan. Film and video bookings for particular screening dates can be organised.
Under the Copyright Act of Australia 1968, 10% of a book or a maximum of one article may be requested from a single volume or issue.
Certain material is not generally available such as:
- Complete issues of journals
- Sound recordings
- Rare books
- Material in heavy demand at other libraries
- Recently published books – these can be ordered for inclusion in the library collection via the Acquisitions Section.
3. Does it cost me anything?click to hideclick to show
The library pays other libraries or suppliers for items received, with the expenditure deducted from the Library Budget.
Occasionally items are expensive to obtain. In this case we will only proceed after receiving further advice from you.
4. How long does it take to get it?click to hideclick to show
Your request is processed as quickly as possible and suppliers are chosen for their prompt service and delivery.
The majority of items requested from Australian libraries will arrive between five and ten working days.
5. What if I want it urgently?click to hideclick to show
Just let us know when you require it by when you are making the request.
Urgent request do have an additional cost and are only available from Australian libraries.
6. Where does it get delivered to?click to hideclick to show
You will be notified via email that your requested item has arrived.
Copies of articles / chapters from books, etc will be delivered electronically to your University email address and Loans will be awaiting your collection on the ‘Holdshelf’ at your home library.
7. How long do I have it?click to hideclick to show
Copies are for you to keep.
Books are usually available for loan for 3-4 weeks, depending on the suppliers policy.
Your book will come with a yellow cover. It is important that you return the book with the yellow cover as it contains a unique barcode so the item can be removed from your loan record.
Special conditions apply to some items and may only be available for use within the library.
8. What if I want it for longer?click to hideclick to show
Contact the Interlibrary Services staff. Some suppliers will not allow an additional loan period.
9. Where do I return it?click to hideclick to show
The return chute at the library you collected it from.