What is a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN)?
What is a eCAN?
Within 28 days of the census date in each term you study, the University will provide you with an e CAN. The eCAN includes important information about your enrolment, any HELP debt you have incurred or student contribution amounts you have paid, and any loan fee you may have incurred.
What information is on my CAN?
If you are a Commonwealth supported student, your eCAN will include information on:
- the units of study for which you have received Commonwealth assistance;
- the student contribution amounts you have been charged for the units you are enrolled in;
- any up-front payments you have made;
- any HECS-HELP assistance you have used for that semester study period, if you are using HECS-HELP to pay your student contributions.
If you have applied for FEE-HELP, your eCAN will include information on:
- the tuition fees for your units of study;
- the units for which you have received FEE-HELP;
- any up-front payments you have made; and
- any FEE-HELP loan fee incurred for undergraduate units of study.
If you have utilised a HELP Loan for OS-HELP or SA-HELP you will receive an additional eCAN for each of these loans.
How do I access my eCAN?
The eCAN is delivered electronically, and will be available for viewing on your MyHub page.
You will receive an email from the Student Financials and Scholarships office to advise that your eCAN is available on MyHub.
You will need to select the ‘View My eCAN’ link on your MyHub Home Page, located in the My Finances section, to view the details of your eCAN.
What if my CAN is incorrect?
If you notice any errors on your CAN, you have 14 days from the date of the CAN to submit a written request for corrrection.
You will need to specify:
- whcih details you believe are incorrect; and
- why you believe they are incorrect
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure that the information contained on your eCAN is correct.
Completed Appeal forms and supporting documentation should be forwarded to:
Student Financials and Scholarships
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
Callaghan NSW 2308
If you would like to discuss this further please contact the Student Financials and Scholarships office:
Phone: 4921 5309, 4921 5322, 4921 6541