The Communication staff and research students at the University of Newcastle produce world-class research and frequently present at conferences in Australia and around the world.
Communication research can occur on a wide range of topics, from the practical implications of media policy to the analysis of power structures in social interactions. Further, the fast pace of technological development in communication makes the discipline a rich area of research that encompasses diverse interests.
Some ongoing or recently completed research by staff and research students include:
- Creativity and cultural production in relation to media practices
- Print journalism and the creative process
- Creativity in the production of Australian children’s literature
- Creativity in documentary production
- E-governance and participatory media
- Strategic communication in public relations
- Social media usage in audience engagement
- Artificial intelligence in the generation of humour
- Localism and networking in the radio broadcasting industry
- Folk dances of India in Bollywood cinema
- Bridging theory and practice in journalism curricula