Marketing in the Newcastle Business School is renowned for innovation; our marketing courses are continuously evolving to provide the most up-to-date marketing programs.
We are recognised for our:
- Unique combination of breadth in knowledge, varied international research perspectives, and diverse industry experience
- International high-calibre research
- Innovative research-based teaching and learning.
What is Marketing?
Marketing is critical to the success of organisations including profit companies and non-profit organisations. It provides an interesting, intellectually challenging and exciting career for graduates in the business world.
Marketing is a diverse and broad field in business, which essentially concerns with creating customers and retaining them. Particularly, marketing consists of a wide spectrum of activities for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, companies, partners, and society. These activities (e.g. understanding what customers need, developing offerings that customers want, communicating benefits to customers, facilitating the distribution of these offerings to customers, etc.) are undertaken by companies and in collaboration with customers and partners.
Marketing is also about analysing markets, competitors, customers and your own organisation to understand why they behave the way they do under changing market conditions; and what action is necessary in those markets to achieve success for the organisations products and services.
Why study with us?
The Newcastle Business School's Marketing program has achieved distinction as one of Australia's best. Marketing in the School is committed to providing innovative, practical courses that are well-grounded in response to the competitive business environment.
You will emerge as a confident marketing graduate who is able to make an immediate contribution to any organisation, and capable of operating in a changing global context. To achieve this outcome, you will complete a focussed, sequential set of eight courses for your marketing major. This major will highlight the role and importance of marketing in the competitive business environment, and give you:
- A very solid grounding in marketing theory and its applications
- Knowledge to assist you to understand consumer behaviour, develop and execute basic marketing research, and to contribute to marketing strategy
- Specialised knowledge in areas that include advertising, services, retail, industrial, and international marketing
- Skills in critical thinking, developing an argument, report writing and case analysis
- Skills in marketing planning, and preparing and delivering marketing presentations
- The opportunity to work in teams and to gain insights into team processes.
With such diversity career opportunities in marketing are numerous and diverse, including such areas as advertising and promotion, business and industrial marketing, consumer marketing, brand management, direct marketing, international marketing, marketing research, retailing, professional selling, sales management, transportation and logistics, and e-commerce. The marketing program is designed to prepare graduate for entry-level and subsequent leadership positions in these and related career areas.