University of Newcastle and Friends of the University Sports Scholarships
These scholarships were established in 1994 to encourage and support students with demonstrated sporting ability and potential to contribute to the sporting achievements of the University. The purpose of these scholarships is to improve the quality of University sporting teams, raise the University's profile through sport, and establish a standard of excellence to complement the University's academic achievements.
Students are able to represent the University in a wide range of sports as members of University sporting clubs or at inter-university competitions. Student participation in sport is facilitated by the broad range of sporting facilities at the University which are among the best in the region.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in an approved degree or bridging program
- Be enrolled full time for the entire period for which the scholarship applies.
- Has attained an equivalent sporting standard in the previous 2 years of selection at district representative level in the sport for an Under 17 or older age district team as a minimum.
- Has maintained the minimum academic standard of a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.00 or higher.
- Has not held a Scholarship on more than one occasion previously. NB Students who have held a Scholarship for one year may apply for a subsequent year to a maximum of two years in total.
- Is not a Professional Sports Person. Professional sports people are not eligible to apply.
If this documentation is not provided your application will not be processed.
After you have submitted your application, please print off the cover sheet provided and attach a copy of each piece of required documentation to it before sending in.
- Relevant reference/s or documents regarding sporting achievements in the past 2 years, which provide evidence of your selection and/or participation in representative teams and which detail event results. Provide relevant website addresses.
Eight (8) scholarships will be offered annually. One (1) Friends of the University Sports Scholarship will be available valued at $2000 and seven (7) University Sports Scholarships will be available valued at $1500 each.
The Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of demonstrated sporting ability, academic merit and commitment to the sporting achievements of the University.
Where discrimination between applicants cannot be made clearly on the basis of the selection criteria, the Selection Committee will give consideration to gender balance and sporting diversity.
The Selection Committee may give preference to a particular area or areas of sports.
Where a sport is either active on campus or included in inter-university competitions, Scholars will be expected to represent the University at local, district, and national level in that sport. This may include joining a University of Newcastle club, if a club in that sport is operating at the University. University of Newcastle club participation will be considered favourably by the Selection Committee.
The closing date to apply for this scholarship is: Sunday, 30 June 2013
University of Newcastle
Phone: (02) 49216404 or (02) 49216539
Fax: (02) 49216937