University of Newcastle Undergraduate Scholarship Scheme
The University Foundation Undergraduate Scholarship Scheme was established by the Vice-Chancellor in November 1997. The objective of the Scheme is to provide financial support for academically outstanding undergraduate students who completed their Higher School Certificate in the year prior to entering university in a school located within the area to which the University's Regional and Rural Preference Scheme applies.
The Scholarships will be assigned on merit without regard to the student's campus of enrolment, but such that in any year, no more than five students enrolled a single program will be awarded scholarships.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Have completed your Higher School Certificate (HSC) in a school located within the area to which the University's Regional and Rural Preference Scheme applies
- Completed the Higher School Certificate in the year prior to entering University
- Be enrolled in a Bachelor degree program
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Be an Australian Citizen or Be a Permanent Resident
- Not hold another scholarship for the same program of equivalent or more substantial benefit
- Have an ATAR (Australian Tertiary Admission Rank) of 95 or greater
Each scholarship under the scheme will provide a once-only sum of $4000 for the first year of a program. A maximum of 40 scholarships will be awarded annually under the scheme.
<strong> Scholarships are automatically awarded on the basis of academic merit. <p> All commencing undergraduate students who completed the Higher School Certificate in the year prior to entering University, in a school within the area of the University's Regional and Rural Preference Scheme, who also received an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) of 95 or greater will be eligible for a scholarship. <p> </strong>
<p> <strong> NB:</strong> Where there are more than five students in a program with an ATAR of 95 or greater, the top five students will be awarded scholarships. <p> In a program where there are fewer than five students with an ATAR of 95 or more, each student will receive a scholarship <strong> subject to a maximum of 40 scholarships overall. </strong> </p>
<p>School Postcodes Included in the Regional and Rural Preference Scheme Area include
- Central Coast 2250-2263
- Mid-North Coast 2431-2459
- Hunter Region 2264-2338 and 2413-2430
- New England 2339-2412
- Central West 2787-2820 and 2845-2877
- Western Plains 2821-2844 and 2878
- Northern Rivers 2460-2483
- Broken Hill 2879-2880
University of Newcastle
Phone: (02) 49216404 or (02) 49216539
Fax: (02) 49216937