Valasi Bleazard Memorial Scholarship in Medicine
10 March 2017
DonorTrustee of the Valasi Bleazard Estate
This scholarship is in the memory of Miss Valasi Bleazard, late of Lorn in Maitland who died at the age of 90 at Faleula Methodist Campus in Western Samoa. She was born at Satupaitea in Western Samoa to Methodist Missionaries, hence her princess Christian name. During her adulthood here she had been a teacher of the Piano. Being born in Western Samoa , she was laid to rest in befitting manner at Vaega Satupaitea.
She left a bequest in her will to fund this scholarship in her name: the Valasi Bleazard Memorial Scholarship.
Applicable to: Medicine, Joint Medical Program, JMP, female, women, woman, International, Second Year, 2nd Year, Public Health, high achievers.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in 2nd year of the Joint Medical Program with University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time (minimum 30 units).
- Demonstrate academic achievement by successful progress in all 1st year B Medicine courses.
- Demonstrate that you are affected by educational disadvantage, such as carer or sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Be female
- Not have previously completed a degree.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A written statement (approx 1 A4 page) outlining your academic achievement to date, experience of educational disadvantage, and how this scholarship would assist you and your career aspirations.
- Optional: any documents supporting your claims, such as your CV, evidence of achievements, centrelink income statement, health care card. Please limit to just a few documents which support relevant eligibility criteria only.
The scholarship currently provides a benefit of $5,000 to be paid as a lump sum following Semester 1 census date.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759