Friends of the University Scholarship for Studies in Education
10 March 2017
DonorFriends of the University of Newcastle
The Friends of the University were established in 1981 to foster an awareness of the University and its place in the community and to conduct activities including fundraising that promote the interests of the University. Since that time the Friends have raised over $1,000,000 and contributed towards scholarships, art works, music, rare books, infrastructure and more. This Teaching Scholarship is to be awarded annually for an indigenous student studying an education degree.
Applicable to: Teachers, Education, First year, Second year, ATSI, Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islanders, Indigenous, School of Education, high achievers.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in 1st or 2nd year of an undergraduate program offered by the School of Education, University of Newcastle.
- Demonstrate academic progress either by the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent required for entry for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 for continuing students.
- Identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and be recognised as such by your community.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A written statement (max 2 A4 pages) demonstrating/outlining your academic achievements to date, career aspirations in the relevant area of study/research and how this scholarship would assist you.
- Confirmation of Aboriginality (Common Seal) and a written reference made by an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community member who knows you in the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander community.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $4,000. This will be paid as $2000 each semester, following the relevant census dates.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents. Academic merit will be taken into account.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759