Xstrata Coal Undergraduate Scholarships
Xstrata has supported scholarships since 2007 to attract students with good academic records to pursue a career in Engineering, Geology or Environmental Science.
The aim of this scholarship support is to provide scholars greater financial independence while completing their program and to encourage students to pursue an education in these fields.
It is the intention of Xstrata to build ongoing relationships with scholars including opportunities for paid work experience and professional networking opportunities during their degree program with a view to scholars being considered for a career with Xstrata upon graduation.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in 1st or 2nd year of a Bachelor of Engineering, Bachelor of Environmental Science and Management, or Bachelor of Science (majoring in Geology or Earth Sciences)
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Be an Australian Citizen or Be a Permanent Resident
- Not hold another scholarship
- Not be under bond or committed to an employer in a way that would prevent the ability to undertake paid University vacation employment if provided by Xstrata
If this documentation is not provided your application will not be processed.
After you have submitted your application, please print off the cover sheet provided and attach a copy of each piece of required documentation to it before sending in.
- A written statement outlining aptitude and level of interest in working in Engineering, Surveying, Earth Sciences or Environmental Science. Include relative personal qualities, leadership qualities, extracurricular activities and community involvement.
- A current curriculum vitae (CV) or resume
- Commencing students must supply two references from school teachers or other referees
- Continuing students must supply two references from current lecturers at their university
Up to two (2) scholarships will be offered in 2013. The scholarship provides a total of $10,000 per annum for up to four (4) years. This is payable in two (2) $5000 lump sum payments, paid each semester after the census dates.
Selection of the scholar will be on the basis of:
- For commencing students, academic merit, namely Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR);
- For continuing students, academic merit, namely Weighted Average Mark (WAM);
<p> AND </p>
- Assessment of the required written statement, references and resume
- Performance at an interview (20-30 minutes)
<p> Preference may be given to first-year students. </p>
The closing date to apply for this scholarship was: Sunday, 31 March 2013
University of Newcastle
Phone: (02) 49216404 or (02) 49216539
Fax: (02) 49216937