Norman Bushman Scholarship for Studies Relating to Voice
This scholarship was established at the request of Norman Bushman, who was born in Singleton, NSW. While he lived his adult life in Sydney, he had a strong connection to the Hunter Valley with a great love for music.
During his life Norman Bushman dedicated himself to a number of causes including: The Lions Club, the Australian Labour party, young artists with potential in music and drama and indigenous students from Australia and Papua New Guinea.
As a passionate supporter of the arts, and with a special interest in music, it was his dream to help people achieve in this area and to promote and support music research and performance at the University of Newcastle.
This scholarship is available to assist a student in studies relating to voice. Application is invited from students enrolled in Undergraduate (including Honours), Postgraduate, and Postdoctoral levels of study. Please note, Postdoctoral students should contact ResearchScholarships@newcastle.edu.au for information on how to apply.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in Bachelor of Music (including Honours), any combined program incorporating Bachelor of Music, or any postgraduate degree in Music where your main focus of study is connected to the voice.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Not hold another scholarship
If this documentation is not provided your application will not be processed.
After you have submitted your application, please print off the cover sheet provided and attach a copy of each piece of required documentation to it before sending in.
- Provide a one (1) A4 page submission outlining the applicant's goals as a musician
One (1) scholarship will be available at any one time.
This scholarship provides the benefit of $15000 per annum, payable in lump sum payments of $7500 each semester after the census date.
Applicants for the scholarship must complete and submit the relevant scholarship application form to the Scholarships Office by the due date. Postdoctoral students should contact ResearchScholarships@newcastle.edu.au to apply.
Selection of the scholar will be on the basis of:
- One (1) A4 page submission outlining the applicant's goals as a musician.
- An interview with the selection committee for shortlisted applicants.
- A performance or creative portfolio of three contrasting works, which can include original material, accompanied by an oral presentation on the works (approx. duration 30 mins) during interview.
University of Newcastle
Phone: (02) 49216404 or (02) 49216539
Fax: (02) 49216937