Lewis Ewart Lewis Physiotherapy Scholarship
Lewis Ewart Lewis Estate
This scholarship was established in memory of Lewis Ewart Lewis, a local Physiotherapist who committed his entire career to the well-being of the people of Newcastle. Born in Newcastle in 1909, Lewis commenced his health professional career as a podiatrist and chiropodist before qualifying as a Physiotherapist in 1945.
One of the pioneers of private Physiotherapy practice, Lewis was highly regarded by both his many patients, some of whom travelled 4-5 hours each way to consult him, and by his peers.
Following his passing in 2004, the Lewis Ewart Lewis Physiotherapy Scholarship was established to help disadvantaged Physiotherapy students. This scholarship realised Lewis' ambition of supporting and assisting promising local students to enter the profession in which he took great pride and devoted most of his professional life.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in second, third or fourth year of the Bachelor of Physiotherapy program
- Be an Australian Citizen or Be a Permanent Resident
- Not hold another scholarship
- Be the holder of a current Centrelink Health Care Card or be listed as a dependent on a parent/guardian's current Health Care Card
- Not have a record of misconduct on the Student Academic Misconduct Register
If this documentation is not provided your application will not be processed.
After you have submitted your application, please print off the cover sheet provided and attach a copy of each piece of required documentation to it before sending in.
- A verified copy of your current Centrelink Low Income Health Care Card. (copy signed by a Justice of the Peace)
One (1) scholarship is available, valued at $5000, to be paid in a lump sum payment.
Selection of the scholar will be on the basis of academic merit, namely Weighted Average Mark (WAM).
University of Newcastle
Phone: (02) 49216404 or (02) 49216539
Fax: (02) 49216937