William Bowmore Endowed Postgraduate Scholarship in Cello
This scholarship was established to promote the development of cello study at the postgraduate level at the University of Newcastle. Dr William Bowmore has established this scholarship because of his great love of music and his passion for supporting the arts in the Hunter Valley Region. He is a renowned patron of the arts in the Newcastle area having donated major works to the Newcastle Regional Art Gallery and sculptures to the University of Newcastle collection. In 2002 Dr Bowmore was awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Newcastle (Australia) in recognition of his support of the arts and his ongoing contribution to Newcastle Conservatorium since 1952.
In 2004 Dr Bowmore donated $250,000 to the University of Newcastle to establish the William Bowmore Endowment Fund to support scholarships in Cello. Each year 70% of the interest earned from the Endowment Fund will be allocated to the Bowmore Scholarships Fund. The remaining 30% of the interest will be reinvested in the William Bowmore Endowment Fund. The amount of the postgraduate scholarship to be awarded in any given year will be determined based upon 55% - 60% of the annual income to the Bowmore Scholarship Fund. The scholarship may not be awarded in any given year if the candidates are not of sufficient merit.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in Master or PhD program
- Be an Australian Citizen or Be a Permanent Resident
- Be a resident of Newcastle, the Hunter Region or the Central Coast
If this documentation is not provided your application will not be processed.
After you have submitted your application, please print off the cover sheet provided and attach a copy of each piece of required documentation to it before sending in.
- A current curriculum vitae (CV) or resume
- A written statement, (one page only) on how you will use the money to further your music education, your plans and your career aspirations
|Scholarship Amount: $4,000||Number of scholarships available: 1|
Selection of the scholar will be on the basis of each applicant submitting their Curriculum Vitae and a one page statement on how they intend to use the money to further their education, their future plans and aspirations. Each applicant will be required to perform a cello recital. The selection committee will interview all applicants.
University of Newcastle
Phone: (02) 49216404 or (02) 49216539
Fax: (02) 49216937