William Bowmore Undergraduate Cello Scholarship
10 March 2017
This scholarship was established to promote the development of cello study through undergraduate degrees at the University of Newcastle. Dr William Bowmore has established this scholarship to share his great love of music and the arts in the Hunter Valley Region.
In 2002 Dr Bowmore was awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Newcastle (Australia) and an Order of Australia `for service to the arts as a collector, donor, benefactor and patron of galleries in Australia, and to young musicians as a teacher and sponsor of concerts and scholarships. He had been an active supporter of the Newcastle Conservatorium since 1952.
Applicable to: Cello, Hunter residents, music, creative arts.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of the B Music or B Music/B Arts program with the Faculty of Education and Arts with a focus on cello at University of Newcastle.
- Demonstrate academic progress either by the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent required for entry for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate that you are affected by educational disadvantage, such as carer or sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Have demonstrated a high standard during performance either at entry audition or at interview for shortlisted applicants.
- Be a resident of Newcastle, the Hunter Region or the Central Coast area.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A written statement outlining your academic achievement to date, your experience of financial hardship, and your career aspirations in the relevant area of study or research as well as how this scholarship would assist you.
The scholarship currently provides a benefit of $7,000 to be paid in two equal amount of $3,500 following Semester 1 and Semester 2 census dates.
Selection of the scholar will be on the basis of the application and may include consideration of performance and interview at audition for admission.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759