John Sinclair Cormack Memorial Scholarship for Pianists or Violinists
10 March 2017
This scholarship was established by the Trustees' of the will of John Sinclair Cormack to assist students who are studying Piano or Violin. The purpose of the scholarship was to provide funds to be used towards the payment of fees or where it may be considered desirable living allowance and travelling expenses.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of an undergraduate, honours or postgraduate degree at the University of Newcastle.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Be enrolled in any year of a Bachelor of Music in the Faculty of Education and Arts, University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time (minimum 30 units).
- Demonstrate academic achievement either by an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent of 75 or higher for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate that you are affected by educational disadvantage, such as carer or sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Be a resident to the municipalities of the cities of Newcastle, Maitland, Cessnock or the Shires of Lake Macquarie and Port Stephens.
- Have demonstrated a high standard during performance either at entry audition or at interview for shortlisted applicants.
- Not have previously completed a degree.
- Not have previously received this scholarship.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A written statement outlining your academic achievement to date, your experience of financial hardship, and your career aspirations in the relevant area of study or research as well as how this scholarship would assist you.
The scholarship currently provides a benefit of $15,000 to be paid in two equal lump sum payments following Semester 1 and 2 census dates.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents. Performance may be required.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759