To be a centre of excellence for research, teaching and professional service in public health including clinical epidemiology, biostatistics and social sciences related to health, both within Australia and internationally.
The aims of the Centre are:
- to promote excellence in public health education;
- to contribute to public health training so as to address the identified needs of the public health workforce;
- to foster retraining of the general public health workforce so as to expand national capacity to act effectively for improved health outcomes;
- to bridge the gap between public health and clinical medicine by providing clinicians with skills in research and evaluation from a population health perspective; and
- to ensure that training is available appropriate to the special public health needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
The objectives of the Centre are:
- To provide high quality education within Australia and internationally in the areas of epidemiology, clinical epidemiology, biostatistics, health economics, health social science, health promotion, pharmacoepidemiology, genetic and molecular epidemiology, communicable disease epidemiology, quality improvement in health care, environmental epidemiology and applied management in health.
- To design and operate innovative flexible delivery modes of education, including web based instruction and distance learning within Australia and overseas, in addition to full time and part time programs on campus.
- To equip health care professionals with the skills to critically evaluate their practice and to perform research into important health problems of the population.
- To conduct high quality population-based research and clinical research of an interdisciplinary or transdisciplinary nature which will have an impact on health policy and outcomes.
- To nurture the development and application of innovative methodology in public health research.
- To encourage research among graduates into essential national health issues which will have an impact on health policy, practice and outcome.
- Professional Service
- To create an environment conducive to the production of intellectually rigorous ideas which can challenge, evaluate and renew public policy and action.
- To provide expertise and advice to government and other agencies to prevent disease and, from a population perspective, improve health care and outcomes.
- To influence health policy and practice to provide more cost-effective and equitable health care.