The following web pages provide provide additional information and resources to support supervisors.
Equity and Diversity
Our Equity and Diversity Unit has a number of useful tools available for academics to use, these include the Cultural Diversity and Inclusive Practice Toolkit which contains the 'Theory into Practice Strategies (TIPS)' and a PDF resource about 'Supervising RHD students'
fIRST provides access to a range of resources that help universities and individual supervisors improve the quality of their postgraduate research education.
fIRST was created by a consortium of Australian and New Zealand universities with the aim of reviewing and sharing existing supervision development resources and to develop new resources for the benefit of consortium members.
fIRST's resources include:
- Online activities that individuals can use to develop their expertise as postgraduate research student supervisors
- Materials and instructions for providing face-to-face staff development workshops
- Tools, case studies, a bibliography and links to other relevant web sites
(log in required (case sensitive): username: newcastle; password: newcastle2308n)
Centre for the Study of Research Training and Impact
The activities of our Centre for the Study of Research Training and Impact (SORTI) are directed toward the understanding and development of research and higher order problem solving skills and the impact of research training and research outcomes in a wide variety of contexts but in particular within tertiary and professional learning environments.
Council of Deans and Directors of Graduate Studies in Australia
The Council of Deans and Directors of Graduate Studies in Australia (DDOGS) is a forum of representatives of universities engaged in graduate studies to discuss matters related to the provision, quality and advancement of graduate education.
The purpose of the Council is to promote excellence in training, research and scholarship and to seek to maintain high national standards for all graduate degree programs. The web site includes policy discussions and papers (some papers are accessible only by registered members).
Selected References for New Supervisors:
- Denholm, Carey J. & Evans, Terry D. 2006, Doctorates downunder : keys to successful doctoral study in Australia and New Zealand / edited by Carey Denholm and Terry Evans ACER Press, Camberwell, Vic. : ISBN:0864314299 Copies in Auchmuty (Callaghan) & Ourimbah (Central Coast) Libraries.
- Denholm, Carey J. & Evans, Terry D. 2007, Supervising doctorates downunder : keys to effective supervision in Australia and New Zealand / edited by Carey Denholm and Terry Evans ACER Press, Camberwell, Vic. : ISBN :9780864314307 Copy in Auchmuty Library at Callaghan.
Reference for Supervisors in the Science fields:
- Russey, William E., Ebel, Hans F. & Bliefert Claus (2006), How to write a successful science thesis: the concise guide for students; Weinheim: Wiley-VCH Copies in Auchmuty (Callaghan) and Ourimbah (Central Coast) Libraries.