Research Financial System (RFS)
Research Services, Financial Services, Human Resources and IT Services have collaborated to provide researchers and support staff with a financial management solution known as the Research Financial System (RFS).
From RFS Heads of School, Faculty PVC’s, researchers and support staff will be able to view the allocated budgets, commitments and expenditure for the full life of their research projects via an easy to use dashboard within the UON finance system - TechnologyOne.
RFS TRAINING AND GUIDANCE:
Training sessions for RFS are now available, please review and sign up for your preferred session via UONs professional development platform Discover > TechnologyOne – Research Financial System.
Self-learning resources are also available within Discover.
WHAT IS RFS?
RFS collates information from the Research Services database (RIMS) and TechnologyOne into one place, allowing researchers to view the allocated budgets, expenditure and commitments for all their research projects.
If you would like to know more click HERE to view a recording from an information session held in December 2016. Please Note: You will need to enter your UON log in credentials to access and play the recording.
WHAT IS DIFFERENT?
The key changes and benefits are:
- From Jan 2017 Cost Collectors (10.8xxxx) will be replaced by the Grant Number (G1xxxxxx). The Grant Number (G Number) is assigned by the Research Office at the time of application submission or upon establishment of the grant. The grant number will now be the account number for funded research grants and is used for all research grant related expenses such as credit card charges, staff appointments and TechnologyOne Purchase Orders.
- To find out which G Number replace a 10.8xxx cost collector click HERE to access our look up tool.
- Researchers can view existing G numbers on their UON web profile under the ‘Grants and Funding’ tab and then clicking on the relevant project.
- RFS will show budgets at category level (personnel, travel, consumables etc.) which align to the awarded budgets such as ARC, NHMRC budget; The Category (BLI) will align with specific UON account codes.
- To see which account codes link to the RFS categories, use the RFS Category/Account Code look up tool. Click HERE
- RFS will show multiyear commitments and details of staff appointments;
- All UON researchers named on a research grant will have access to view the grant in RFS;
- Researchers can give access to a Professional Staff member by listing them on the Grant Establishment Form when establishing the grant.
- Alerts will be generated within the Techone alerts dashboard and also distributed via email to research grant CI’s, Heads of School and Faculty PVC’s. The alerts are triggered by a number of budget related scenarios. Click HERE for more information RFS alerts.
To view examples of the RFS dashboard, views and reports click HERE
WHY DO WE NEED RFS?
- Historical audit issues have resulted in UON needing to improve financial controls to ensure that we are compliant with Funding Body rules.
- Provide a collaborative, user friendly & accurate solution to view for the project life of a Grant the $ Balances available to be expended by:
o Researchers & Head of Schools for decision making,
o Professional staff in administration tasks,
o Faculty Heads to monitor Financial performance; and
o Research, Financial & Human Resource Services staff in providing support.
WHEN WILL RFS BE AVAILABLE?
- RFS will be available from 5th January 2017
HOW CAN I ACCESS RFS?
- All UON Chief investigators (CI) named on the grant within RIMS will be able to access and view the information within RFS as long as they are a registered user of TechnologyOne.
- Researchers can give access to a Professional Staff member to view the grant in RFS by listing them on the Grant Establishment Form when establishing the grant. For existing grants please send an email from the lead CI to email@example.com requesting access for Professional Staff.
- Heads or School, PVCs and their delegated authorities will be able to access and view the information relating to all grants within their faculty or school as long as they are registered users of TechnologyOne.
To gain this access please contact the Finance Systems Team to request the applicable TechnologyOne User Registration Form.
WHO CAN I CONTACT FOR ASSISTANCE?
For research grant related questions please contact:
T: (02)4921 7733
For finance and TechnologyOne related questions please contact:
T: (02)4921 8640