Research Financial System (RFS)
Research Services, Financial Services, Human Resources and IT Services have been collaborating to provide researchers and support staff with a financial management solution known as the Research Financial System (RFS). It will enable heads of school/faculty, researchers and support staff to view allocated budgets, commitments and expenditure for the full life of their research projects via an easy to use dashboard.
Want to know more? Attend one of our RFS Information Sessions by subscribing via DISCOVER click here…..
|Date/Time (2016)||Location||Target Audience|
|17th Nov 2:00 pm - 3.00pm||
Callaghan - Advanced Technology Building ATC210|
VC Links to:
Orange: Room B
HMRI: Moss room
|Research Financial Officers|
|1st Dec 2:00pm - 3:00pm||Callaghan - Hunter Building HB15||All Staff|
|5th Dec 1:30pm – 2:30pm||HMRI - Caves Theatre||All Staff|
|6th Dec 10:30am – 11:30||Callaghan - Hunter Building HB15||All Staff|
PLEASE NOTE: A schedule of training sessions available from January 2017 onwards, sign up to attend one of these training sessions via DISCOVER
WHAT IS RFS?
RFS collates information from the Research Services database (RIMS) and the UON finance system (TechnologyOne) into one place so that researchers can view the allocated budgets, expenditure and commitments for all their research projects. The key changes and benefits are:
- Cost Collectors (10.8xxxx) will be replaced by the Grant Number (G1xxxxxx). The Grant Number is assigned by the Research Office at the time of application submission or upon establishment of the grant. The grant number will now be the account number for funded research grants and is used for staff appointments, scholarships, within Fraedom for assigning credit card charges and for TechnologyOne Purchase Orders.
- Researchers can view existing G numbers on their UON web profile under the ‘Grants and Funding’ tab and then clicking on the relevant project.
- RFS will show budgets at category level (personnel, travel, consumables etc.) which align to the awarded budgets such as ARC, NHMRC budget;
- RFS will show multiyear commitments and details of staff appointments;
- All UON researchers named on a research grant will have access to view the grant in RFS;
- Researchers can give access to a Professional Staff member by listing them on the Grant Establishment Form when establishing the grant.
WHY DO WE NEED RFS?
- Historical audit issues have resulted in UON needing to improve financial controls to ensure that we are compliant with Funding Body rules.
- Provide a collaborative, user friendly & accurate solution to view for the project life of a Grant the $ Balances available to be expended by:
o Researchers & Head of Schools for decision making,
o Professional staff in administration tasks,
o Faculty Heads to monitor Financial performance; and
o Research, Financial & Human Resource Services staff in providing support.
WHEN WILL RFS BE AVAILABLE?
- RFS will be available from 5th January 2017
HOW WILL I USE RFS?
- RFS training sessions will be available from January 2017 via DISCOVER click here…..
- A post training support line will be available to assist with your queries
- To access RFS you must be a registered TechnologyOne user. To gain this access please complete the TechnologyOne User Registration Form and submit it to your School.
If you have any queries or concerns please contact the RFS Project Manager Peter Hanlan via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02 498 54374 (ext. 54374)