As a condition of award, ARC grants holders are required to submit Exception Reports on Progress (if applicable) and a Final Report on cessation of the grant.
NOTE: As at September 2015, the ARC are updating their system. End of Year and Progress Reporting will possibly be moving into RMS 2.0. Once we have further information from the ARC, we will update this webpage and advise researchers of the process for 2015.
Reporting Requirements Form
Progress report and carryover request have now been incorporated into one form. Please see progress report template to complete both your progress report and carryover request.
For ARC-funded projects active in 2015
As a condition of award, ARC grants holders are required to submit Progress Reports and a Final Report on cessation of the grant.
For ARC-Funded Projects Active in 2015
The ARC reporting requirements have recently changed. Progress reports are now required for all ARC-funded projects active in 2015.
2015 Progress Reports
All project leaders of UON-administered ARC projects that were active in 2014 must complete a Progress Report. To assist with this procedure, the Research Office has created a Progress Report Template (DOCX) for the project leader to complete. The completed form must be emailed to Fin-Research@newcastle.edu.au by Monday 15 February 2016.
Earlier submission is strongly encouraged.
The Research Accounting Team will forward all Project Leaders a current financial report to enable completion of this form. If you require further financial details, please contact your Faculty Research Accounting team member.
A Progress Report must indicate whether there are any significant issues that affected the progress of the project in 2015.
- Project was delayed as it was transferred during the reporting period.
- Approved change to work hours (%FTE) for a named Investigator on the Project resulted in changes to the end date.
- Due to personal reasons member/s of the research team had to take time off the Project to attend to personal health/carer matters.
- Issues with Partner Organisation such as: contributions not yet received; change in staff; change in structure; Organisation left or joined the Project.
- Changes within the research team, such as: Personnel left or joined the team.
- The scope/budget of the Project was altered to include/exclude tasks listed in the Proposal.
- Equipment issues have delayed the Project during the reporting period.
- Fieldwork issues have caused a significant delay to the Project during the reporting period.
Please note: The report must certified by the Lead CI by typing their name, dating the end of the report and emailing it to Fin-Research@newcastle.edu.au. A signature is not required. Each Progress Report will be checked by the Research Office for compliance and to ensure additional post-award variations are not required.
Variation to Funding Agreement (VFA)
A VFA request must be submitted for changes to Investigators, Organisations or other issues as indicated in the Funding Agreement. If a VFA has already been submitted and approved, and the change has not affected the progress of the Project, a reason will not have to be entered on the form. If the progress was affected, the reason must be submitted even if a VFA was approved.
For further information please refer to: http://www.arc.gov.au/applicants/variation.htm
Carry Over of Funds/Project Extension
To carryover any unspent ARC funds from 2015 into 2016and/or to extend the end date of an ARC project, a Carryover/Extension Form needs to be completed.
Checking whether the Project has Funds to Carryover
The information to determine if a project has funds to carryover into 2015 can be obtained from TechnologyOne Financials by following the below steps:
- Click on the Reports tab in the menu bar
- Select Faculty/Division Financial Reports Current
- Select CC01 - Cost Collector -Year to Date
- Click on Run tab in menu bar, then
- Enter Cost Collector No. (10.8xxxx) into Entity / Cost Collector, change Cost Collector Type to Research
- Click Run tab of the 'CC01 Cost Collector - Year to Date' box to run the financial report
Alternatively the appropriate Faculty Research Accounting team member can assist with this information.
These forms have now been incorporated with the progress report form. Carryover request will now be completed on progress report form template. This is now a one form process. This form will need to be submitted to Fin-Research@newcastle.edu.au by Monday 15 February 2016.
All carryover amounts and extensions of the end dates will be sent to the ARC for approval. The reason for carryover must be selected.
In addition to the code/s, the ARC requires a more detailed explanation in the following circumstances:
- When there is a request to carryover 75% or more of the total 2014 ARC allocation
- When there is a request to carryover the unspent portion of a previous year's carryover funding (+ 12 months carryover) , i.e. A carryover form may have been previously submitted for this project.
The Carryover/Extension Form should be emailed to Fin-Research@newcastle.edu.au by Monday 15 February 2016.
Unless Research Services contacts the lead investigator for further information, it can be assumed the carryover request has been approved.
Final Reports for Discovery (FT, DP, DI) and Linkage programs (LP, LX, LAPDC, LIEF) and earlier programs (LRG, RF, IRD, SPIRT, IREX, RIEF) are completed and submitted through RMS.
Details for submitting ARC Final Reports can be found on the Final Report Page on the ARC website.
Final Report Instructions can be downloaded from the ARC.
Information in the Final Report for ARC-funded projects is used by the ARC to determine whether the project has reached satisfactory completion. If a Final Report is deemed inadequate, the Lead CI or Fellow will be contacted for further information. If the ARC is not satisfied with the outcomes of the Project, this will be noted against any further project applications under any ARC scheme submitted by, or on behalf of, the Lead CI or Fellow and will be taken into account in the assessment of those applications.
Applications under any ARC Program submitted by, or on behalf of, a Lead CI or Fellow on a Project for which the Final Report is outstanding will be deemed ineligible. If your Final Report is not appearing in RMS because the Scheme form has not been made available by the ARC, this will not affect your eligibility when applying for future grants.
If you have any questions regarding reporting please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com or phone (02) 492 17733.
Final Reports and Eligibility for Future Rounds
It is now an eligibility requirement for all ARC schemes that:
- At the time of the submission of a Proposal, all obligations regarding previously funded Projects involving the participants named on the Proposal must have been fulfilled to the satisfaction of the ARC. Such obligations include the provision and acceptance of satisfactory Progress and Final Reports. (Discovery Funding Rules 2018; A6.2.2/Linkage Funding Rules 2018; A7.1.5)
- A Final Report must be submitted for the Project within 12 months of the final payment or within 12 months of the final ARC approved Project end date. The form for this report will be made available by the ARC in RMS, with instructions on the ARC website. (Discovery Funding Rules 2018; A10.2.1/Linkage Funding Rules 2018; A11.2.1)
The ARC have advised that proposals which list a CI with an outstanding final report at the time of submission will be ruled ineligible.
Unfortunately, the administrative access our Office has in RMS does not allow us to verify the status of final reports for CIs from other institutions. Therefore, we strongly encourage the lead CI to ask each CI listed on their proposal to check the status of all final reports flagged in RMS, to ensure that eligibility requirements are met. Final reports that are overdue for UON CIs must be completed as soon as possible and submitted to RMS no later than 3 weeks prior to the ARC closing deadline for the scheme under application.
Final report status can be found in RMS by selecting ‘Final Reports’ under ‘Applicant Project Management’. This will lead to a page displaying the status and due date of all final reports for projects the CI is listed on.
We highly recommend that the lead CI asks each participating CI on their application to take a screenshot of the final report status page in RMS for their records, in the case of eligibility queries.