For funding commencing in 2018
Research Office Contact:
|This scheme is currently open|
The Development Grants scheme provides financial support to individual researchers and/or research teams to undertake health and medical research within Australia at the proof of principle or pre-seed stage that specifically drives towards a commercial outcome within a five-year timeframe.
Early stage research or knowledge creation research (this is fundable through the NHMRC Project Grants scheme) will not be funded through the Development Grants scheme.
The Development Grants scheme supports the commercial development of a product, process, procedure or service that if applied, would result in improved health care, disease prevention or provide health cost savings.
Research supported by this scheme must have experimental data that supports a demonstrated proof of principle or pre-seed concept and have a detailed feasible commercialisation strategy that takes into account the regulatory pathway, protectable IP, commercial barriers and potential routes to market.
For further information regarding NHMRC Development Grants, please visit the NHMRC website.
Please subscribe to the NHMRC mailing list to receive up to date information on NHMRC funding opportunities.
|NHMRC Applications open in RGMS||5:00pm Wednesday 16 November 2016|
|Minimum data requirements in RGMS||5:00pm Wednesday 18 January 2017|
|UON Eligibility and Compliance Check Period||Mon 9 January - Wed 18 January 2017|
|UON Deadline for Final Application||5:00pm Friday 27 January 2017|
|NHMRC Applications Close||5:00pm Wednesday 1 February 2017|
- UON Deadline for Final Application requires provision of final, submission-ready proposals and all associated documentation. As Research Office staff will be conducting Critical Final Checks on all proposals received by the Deadline for Final Application, we will be unable to provide applicants who do not meet this deadline with further advice or assistance with their application. Applicants seeking assistance in completing their application after the Internal Closing Date will be referred directly to the Funding Rules and Advice and Instructions to Applicants.
- Schools and Faculties may have their own internal dates for the purpose of peer review/Head of School and Assistant Dean (Research) approval etc. Please contact your School Executive Officer and Faculty Research & Research Training Officer or Faculty Research Development Manager for further information on School/Faculty internal processes.
Additional documentation for application submission is provided below.
- External Application Coversheet (includes ARC/NHMRC) (DOC)
- Request for Extension to UON Deadline for Final Application (DOC)
Minimum Data Requirement
For each application, it is mandatory that minimum data requirements be entered in RGMS by 5:00pm 18 January 2017 to allow the NHMRC to start sourcing suitable assessors. Applications that fail to satisfy this requirement will not be accepted.
Applicants are also reminded to complete the recommended fields below with correct information. Using placeholder text such as "text", "synopsis" or "xx" etc. are not acceptable as minimum data.
Minimum data for the Development Grants scheme consists of the following:
- General: Specifically, Administering Institution, Application Title, Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander Research and Plain English Summary; and
- A-RC Research Classification.
Final Submission Process
For all NHMRC Schemes
The CIA must certify the application in RGMS via the Certification tab. This will result in the status changing to 'Submitted to RAO' - which equates to 'Research Administration Office' NOT the NHMRC.
CI and AI certifications are due by UON Deadline for Final Application along with final, submission-ready proposals and all associated documentation. The application will not be submitted to the NHMRC until our Office has received email certifications from all named CIs and AIs.
Prior to submission of an application, applicants must ensure that they have read all relevant reference material.
- Development Grants page includes:
- Administering Institution List
- Direct Research Costs - A guide for Research and Administrative staff
- Funding Policy
- RGMS Offline Forms
- Information automatically drawn from RGMS CV/Profile into your application (PDF)
Changes to the Development Grants scheme for 2017
Applicants should note the following changes to the Development Grant scheme-specific Funding Rules for 2017:
- Amendment to section 5.2: Exclusion Criteria as part of Eligibility
- New section 5.3 Business Case. Letter of support requirement removed
- New section 6.3 Industry/Commercial experience: Track Record criterion
- Removed previous section 6.3 Industry/Commercial Partner/s
- Career disruption, including sensitive career disruption, has moved from the Grant Proposal to the CV
Development Grants Applications in Indigenous Health and Well-being
- Indigenous Research Excellence Criteria - see Section 6.3 of the NHMRC Funding Rules 2017
Not for Further Consideration (NFFC) Process
The Not for Further Consideration (NFFC) process was introduced into the peer review of Development Grants in 2014.
This process identifies and removes the least competitive applications received by NHMRC based on initial scores provided by the commercial and scientific spokespersons. Please refer to A Guide to NHMRC Peer Review incorporating the Development Grants Peer Review Guidelines for funding commencing in 2017 for additional information.
2017 Development Grant Review Panel – Self-Nomination
Researchers interested in participating on a NHMRC Development Grant review panel can self-nominate. If you would like to self-nominate for the 2017 Development Grants scheme please email email@example.com(link sends e-mail)
Access to Successful Applications
Research Services can provide researchers with access to view successful applications where the lead Chief Investigator has provided consent.
Applications must be viewed in hard copy in the Research Services office or by arrangement at HMRI on Tuesdays.
How to Arrange to View a Successful Application
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to view successful applications for a specific scheme. Please include preferred date(s), time(s) and location.
Confirmation of the date, time and venue will be provided to you by Research Services staff.
For further information regarding the NHMRC Development Grants please contact email@example.com