For Funding Commencing in 2017
Research Office Contact:
The Linkage Projects scheme provides funding to Eligible Organisations to support research and development (R&D) projects which are collaborative between higher education researchers and other parts of the national innovation system, which are undertaken to acquire new knowledge, and which involve risk or innovation.
Proposals for funding under the Linkage Projects scheme must include at least one Partner Organisation. The Partner Organisation must make a contribution in cash and/or in kind to the project. The combined Partner Organisation contributions for a Proposal (i.e. the total of the cash and in-kind contributions of the Partner Organisations) must at least match the total funding requested from the ARC.
From July 1 2016, the ARC Linkage Project scheme will be continuous with no fixed closing date. The continuous assessment process will result in the progression of assessment for individual proposals once they are submitted in RMS.
Please note that previously unsuccessful Linkage Projects proposals may be submitted again. Applicants will be given the opportunity to identify if a similar proposal was previously submitted under the Linkage Projects scheme, and to provide details regarding how the current proposal differs from the previously submitted proposal. A proposal will be considered a duplicate if the aims and methodology of the project description have not substantially changed. If it is determined that the proposal is a duplicate, the ARC reserves the right to refer to the detailed assessor reports supplied for the previously submitted proposal, for use in the assessment of the new proposal without seeking additional assessments or a rejoinder.
The ARC will be implementing a ‘fast-track’ process to enable them to inform applicants of outcomes as soon as possible. High and Low ranked proposals will be fast-tracked through the assessment process with outcomes announced as early as possible after submission. Outcomes for all other proposals are expected to be announced approximately six months after submission.
For further information, please visit the Linkage Projects page on the ARC website.
Applications open in RMS
1 July 2016
UON Online Booking System Open
4 July 2016
|Request Not to Assess||Two weeks before proposal|
ARC LINKAGE GRANT SUBMISSION PROCEDURE
- Please note that the Research Office is unable to provide advice on any grant or fellowship scheme after the Eligibility and Compliance Check period unless you have obtained a booking.
IF YOU DO REQUIRE AN ELIGIBILITY AND COMPLIANCE CHECK
IF YOU DO NOT REQUIRE AN ELIGIBILITY AND COMPLIANCE CHECK
1. Booking must be made at least 10 working days before your preferred submission date of your ARC Linkage application.
To make a booking for an eligibility and compliance check for the ARC Linkage Grant scheme, you need a valid RMS Application ID for an application that has UON listed as the Administering Institution.
Please note: An Application ID will only secure one booking and cannot be used to make multiple bookings for the same application.
Please note; your application will not receive any form of check prior to submission to the ARC and you as the lead CI are responsible for the Eligibility of your application.
2. By 9am on the date of the booking, you are required to ‘Submit to the Research Office’ your final, submission-ready ARC Linkage Grant application in RMS and forward your complete, fully-signed Cover Sheet, all CI/PI/Organisation Certifications/Written Evidence and your Request Not to Assess form (if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note; RMS requires all tabs within your application to be ‘Green’ in order for the ‘Submit to the Research Office’ button to be enabled. This requires all sections to be complete and all the required pdf. documents to be uploaded.
3. Feedback will be provided by email to the CI by the Research Office within 3 working days.
4. By 9am 2 working days prior to the date which you would like the application submitted to the ARC you are required to ‘Submit to Research Office’ your final, submission ready application in RMS.
Please note; the Research Office will not be re-checking your application prior to submission, therefore you, as the lead Chief Investigator, are responsible for the eligibility of any changes you have made to your application that do not align with the feedback provided to you in your Eligibility and Compliance Check.
2. By 9am 2 working days prior to the date which you would like the application submitted to the ARC you are required to ‘Submit to Research Office’ your final, submission ready ARC Linkage application in RMS and forward your complete, fully-signed Cover Sheet, all CI/PI/Organisation Certifications/Written Evidence and your Request Not to Assess form (if applicable) to email@example.com
Please note; The Research Office is unable to submit your application to the ARC until all CI, PI and Organisation Certifications (Written Evidence) and a completed, fully signed cover sheet is received.
5. Research Office will submit your final application to the ARC once institutional approval has been obtained.
3. Research Office will submit your final application once institutional approval have been obtained
- Eligibility and Compliance Checks ARE NOT compulsory but highly recommended. If you opt to not book in for an Eligibility and Compliance Check, your application will not receive any form of check prior to submission to the ARC and you as the lead CI are responsible for the eligibility of your application.
- Please note that the Research Office is unable to provide advice on any grant or fellowship scheme after the Eligibility and Compliance Check Period unless an Eligibility and Compliance Check was completed.
- Please also note that, no application is approved for submission without the provision of a completed, fully signed cover sheet and if applicable, all CI, PI and Partner Organisation Certifications (Written Evidence).
If you have any further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Prior to submission of an application, applicants are to ensure they have read all relevant reference material outlined on the Linkage Project page of the ARC website, including:
- Funding Rules
- Instructions to Applicants and Frequently Asked Questions
- Sample Application Forms
- Definition of Medical and Dental Research
- Classification Codes: FOR, RFCD, SEO and ANZSIC
- Request Not to Assess
- UON Written Evidence Form (Certification Proforma) (DOC)
- Partner Organisation Letter of Support Template (DOC)
- External Grant Application Coversheet (includes ARC/NHMRC) (DOC)
- ARC/NHMRC Application Submission Procedure (PDF)
- Quick Guide - External Application Coversheet process (PDF)
- Request for extension to Internal Closing Date (DOC)
- Setting up an RMS account and Partner Organisation (PDF)
Heart Foundation Partnership Engagement Grants
The Heart Foundation Partnership Engagement Grants (PEG) enable researchers to partner with the Heart Foundation to apply for NHMRC, ARC and other funding, for large-scale cardiovascular research projects. The scheme is predominantly aimed at NHMRC Partnerships for Better Health Projects (Partnership Projects) and ARC Linkage Projects, but other partnership grant types will be considered. The grants provide financial (up to $150,000), reputational and in-kind support. The Heart Foundation may agree to enter into up to two partnership projects in any PEG round.
AusIndustry R&D Tax Incentive
Under the R&D Tax Incentive, businesses can offset the cost of eligible R&D that is undertaken by them or through partners such as universities. This could be through eligible expenses in an ARC Linkage Projects grant, contract research, or a Cooperative Research Centre (CRC).
The R&D Tax Incentive provides a tax offset for eligible companies which reduce the cost and risk to businesses of undertaking R&D, increasing the incentive to invest in research and innovation. The University of Newcastle and Newcastle Innovation are both registered Research Service Providers (RSPs) for this scheme.
Further information on this scheme for researchers and industry can be found at AusIndustry R&D Tax Incentive.
Instructions for submitting a Rejoinder in RMS are available on the Rejoinders Information page of the ARC website. Research Services will also email the first named Participants individually with further advice.
For further information regarding R&D Tax Incentives, please contact email@example.com or phone on (02) 4921 7733.
RMS 2.0 allows researchers requesting funding under the ARC National Competitive Grants Program to prepare and submit proposals electronically via the internet.
Each proposal is completed by researchers and consists of an electronic document generated from a combination of data entered directly into the proposal form, and PDF documents attached to the proposal form in RMS 2.0.
Note: The Admin Organisation will be The University of Newcastle
The RMS Funding Announcement Page contains links to key documents such as:
- Introduction to RMS 2.0 Login
- Submitting a Proposal in RMS 2.0
All new applications as well as final reports will need to be submitted to RMS 2.0.
RMS minimum system requirements
RMS 2.0 is compatible with the latest versions of Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Compatibility with different browsers or older versions of Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer is not guaranteed.
If you have a current ARC grant with outstanding reports, this may affect your eligibility for current ARC applications. Please see the ARC Reporting Requirements webpage.
Access to Successful Applications
Research Services can provide researchers with access to view successful applications where the lead Chief Investigator has provided consent.
Applications must be viewed in hard copy in the Research Services office or by arrangement at HMRI on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
How to Arrange to View a Successful Application
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to view successful applications for a specific scheme. Please include preferred date(s), time(s) and location.
Confirmation of the date, time and venue will be provided to you by Research Services staff.
Tools for Completing Your Application
Confidentiality and IP
Please note: In past rounds, the ARC warranted confidentiality. The Funding Rules now state "the ARC gives no undertaking to keep confidential any information provided in the Proposal except where required by law."
Due to this change we recommend that if submitting a research project with potential IP which could be patented/exploited or involves an Industry Partner which requires confidentiality, applicants should insert the following sentence at the start of the Project Description within their application:
"The following project is disclosed to the ARC in confidence for the purpose only of applying for ARC Funding."
Useful Information for preparing your applications
- ARC Salary Costs for Professional Staff 2017 (XLS)
- ARC Salary Costs for Academic Staff 2017 (XLS)
- Preparing Research Budgets
- Request for extension to UON Final Application Deadline (DOC)